Coop lighting

Lillyanna

Chirping
May 3, 2015
South Jersey

From what I read, it suggest lighting the coop especially at dusk so the chickens will go into the coop. We do not have electric to our coop so I have been researching some alternatives. I found solar lights that come on at dusk and can be adjusted to go off on a timer. So far they have worked great. Very bright LED's that have replaceable batteries and I hung them from the ceiling in our 5x6 coop.I am not sure if anyone has posted this in the past, but i really recommend the lights. The cheapest I could find them was on AMAZON.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenroy-Home-60502-Solar-5-Light/dp/B007KGHSIE

If the coop has good natural light, which it should have, this should not be necessary, at least after they have learned that the coop is home. With good natural light, they will begin to make their way in after sunset until they are all finally on the roost just before dark.

Also a concern would be turning the lights off suddenly, as in a timer switch you mention.

Chickens have very poor night vision and may panic if the lights go out suddenly, not to mention be stuck for the night not necessarily on the roost.

Also a concern would be turning the lights off suddenly, as in a timer switch you mention.

Chickens have very poor night vision and may panic if the lights go out suddenly, not to mention be stuck for the night not necessarily on the roost.

Good points. That's why I always suggest the timer turn on in the early morning hours rather than around dusk if used to increase egg production.

Back
Top Bottom