Coop Materials

Dom G

Songster
Jan 24, 2023
Strongsville, OH
Hey everyone! I’m want to switch the ground cover of my coop. I’m using straw right now. Hard to clean, always seems dirty no matter what. What do you use? Any suggestions/tips? Thanks!

I'm going to sand just as soon as I use up the shavings I have...it is crazy easy to keep clean with a pooper scooper/muck fork. I can clean my entire run which is twice the size of my coop in 10 minutes or less.

Hey everyone! I’m want to switch the ground cover of my coop. I’m using straw right now. Hard to clean, always seems dirty no matter what. What do you use? Any suggestions/tips? Thanks!
Do you have a place to store a truckload of wood chippings from a tree trimmer?

First, are you talking about your coop or your run? Using "ground cover" and "coop" in the same sentence is throwing off my understanding of your question.

I use sand in my 4x8 foot coop. It works well if you are someone who is willing to scoop daily. Not so well if you prefer to set-it-and-forget it for several days. (crushed limestone construction sand from my local gravel company)

I use straw in my 10x20 foot run. sorry. my run is roofed with wire, but open to the elements. I find the straw gets worked down into the soil by the hens and breaks down into a rich beautiful loam over time. The loam drains nicely, as opposed to my native clay soil which barely drains at all. I occasionally throw some aspen shavings in the worst spots if it's an especially muddy area.

Best wishes on your change-over, whatever you decide on .

Back
Top Bottom