Coop on a budget for 5 chickens

Quote:
That is awesome! I've had the same thought, and we've got a wooden swingset/playhouse that would be so great to convert to a coop. However, my girls are still small so we couldn't do that without getting a swingset to replace it. I have been checking out craigslist and I've also been looking for a swingset on there for the aforementioned reason, but it would have to be a really good deal.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. And what about old barn wood? I've seen some of that on craigslist but would it be appropriate and free of rot/bugs and such?

For 5 birds, the coop should have 20 sq ft of open floor space or about 4x6 on the outside, and have a run with about 50 sq ft or about 5x10. (A chain link dog kennel works great as a start point)

Be as inexpensive on coop materials as possible but DON"T BE CHEAP ON THE WIRE!

Repurposing a metal shed, greenhouse, or kid's playhouse off Craigslist is a great start. Moving companies are a good wood source as they give away the plywood boxes they use in trucks sometimes. Window replacement companies are a good source for old windows and doors. Contact home remodeling companies in the area and see if you can help clean up their site by picking up the replaced items and wood scraps.

Insulation is not needed if your ambient temps in the winter are above 0 deg, windchill only applies to exposed skin, but you do need a draft free, dry shelter for the birds with a shade or roof over the run for a dry area that's cool in the summer and at least partially clear of snow in the winter.

If you put the coop inside a secure, wire topped, and skirted run you don't have to secure the coop, it then is just a shelter. If you can, raise the coop off the ground so the birds have that area to roam too.

Last edited:
Quote:
i think that barn wood for siding on the outside would work great,

is the listing calling out timbers (posts and beams) if so that would be a score if you have right tools to work with it

Quote:
i think that barn wood for siding on the outside would work great,

is the listing calling out timbers (posts and beams) if so that would be a score if you have right tools to work with it

Old barn can harbor hidden gems. Rotten wood is obviously no good, but weathered wood can still be solid. I have found some real beauties from old buildings.

You can always try construction sites(not midnight lumber) but ask around, you would be suprised at what you might get for free, my coop cost me a grand total of $5 by using all recycled lumber, it's 4ft x 11ft on an old antique hay wagon

58604_chick5.jpg

Hubby built our coop(12x5) in the garage using particle board. I love the wood, it's durable and cheap. Our run(20x5) is what cost us the most. We have it along side the house using a sturdy wire with thick posts and double wrapping with chicken wire. We have left over particle board to make the nest boxes and we are grabbing trees and branches from our back yard to build a roost. We also have a light and electric socket for a heat lamp and a fan if needed. We still need to provide shading, which we will use a shade tarp.

Go on Craigslist every chance you get as often per day as you can for the free and materials section... dont be afraid to pull over if you see a pile of lumber or chainlink etc by the curb and ask the person who lives there if they are throwing it out- we did this for 6 months . once you have this pile of building stuff you can then make a plan with what you have. Pallets are the best way- free by the truck load and with a little effort can be broken down into sturdy building materials. The only thing we purchased for our coop was $2.98 a bag for some bags of sakrete concrete . We even recycled all of the nails from the pallets.

Being Flexible in your design , Thinking outside the box , and taking the time to scout out free materials are all ways your going to be able to make a nice coop for under $10.

Just in the last week i saw two ads on craigslist for 2 different free garden sheds/ barn - you remove.... "just add water" type of chicken coop--not bad for free

Back
Top Bottom