Coop plans ok?

What a fantastic building! That shed would be a big selling point for me if it were included in a home sale.
Yes the agent didn't even show us the bottom section of the garden, you can't even see it from the driveway (our section is just 800m2). It's such an awesome bonus and hopefully that sheltered area will mean a peaceful life for the chooks.

You could build a wire wall and split the area. Keep the end with the lawnmower as storage and feed cans. With all that green, you have plenty of free material to cover the concrete with to start the deep litter. Dried grass clippings, garden waste, leaves, pine needles, compost...
Fix the 2 hole "nesting box", add a roost on the back wall, throw in 4 pullets and you are in business.
You will soon wonder why it took you 2 years to get chickens. They are such a compliment to gardening and are more than willing helpers

I'm a bit confused about the coop bit, if I put a roost and nest box in this whole area can that just be the coop, or do they need a separate little house with the roosts and nest box?
OK. Given your setup, you may not need what I was envisioning. Here is my setup (a chicken tractor). The enclosed area in the upper left is the "coop" and the lower area is the run.

ChickenTractor.jpg

That enclosed area is very important to protect them from wind, cold and rain/snow at night. Given your warmer temperatures, you can probably get away with just open roosts and raised nests.

If you want deep litter, then you'll need a fair amount. Pine shavings work well, but you may be able to do cheaper. I don't know if your climate is temperate, but if you get dead fall leaves, those make an excellent deep litter and are free.
My Dad has a huge tree which drops its leaves so will have unlimited supply in a few months, that's a good tip thank you :)

You could build a wire wall and split the area. Keep the end with the lawnmower as storage and feed cans. With all that green, you have plenty of free material to cover the concrete with to start the deep litter. Dried grass clippings, garden waste, leaves, pine needles, compost...
Fix the 2 hole "nesting box", add a roost on the back wall, throw in 4 pullets and you are in business.
You will soon wonder why it took you 2 years to get chickens. They are such a compliment to gardening and are more than willing helpers
I was pregnant when moved in which put the garden on the back burner but now I have a farm animal obsessed toddler who will adore having chickens. Thanks for the tips about other litter materials, looks like my dead Christmas tree can be repurposed :)

Back
Top Bottom