Coop Run flooring suggestions

flrn

Songster
7 Years
Apr 11, 2013
SW Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have a chicken run that is 8' x 8' and currently there is just dirt on the floor. I will have 6 chickens and live in SWFL where it gets very hot, humid and rainy in the summer months. I've been living with the dirt prior to this new flock of hens, but wanted to do something new to the flooring so that the girls will not have wet feet during summer, and reduce the smell too. I've thought about both contractor sand vs mulch chips and it looks like each have their own benefits. I've never done mulch chips so wouldn't even know what kind to get. Any suggestions on either way for areas that are more wet during 1/2 of the year?

I have a chicken run that is 8' x 8' and currently there is just dirt on the floor. I will have 6 chickens and live in SWFL where it gets very hot, humid and rainy in the summer months. I've been living with the dirt prior to this new flock of hens, but wanted to do something new to the flooring so that the girls will not have wet feet during summer, and reduce the smell too. I've thought about both contractor sand vs mulch chips and it looks like each have their own benefits. I've never done mulch chips so wouldn't even know what kind to get. Any suggestions on either way for areas that are more wet during 1/2 of the year?
Hello. Being this is for your outside run whatever you choose probably will not last for an extended period of time. You will be able to experiment with different materials. Then you can choose what works best for you and the chickens. Good luck!

In the north, a lot of municipalities have huge free piles of wood chips from chipping curbside branches and old Christmas trees. I get a pickup truck load and spread the chips about 4+ inches thick. You rake them weekly or whatever is necessary to mix the droppings into the chips. Everything will decompose.
I think the sand will wash away in a run without a roof and it will eventually work it's way down into the soil. The wood will decompose but it will take a while. And up here, adding more wood chips is, again, free.
Being that you are in FL and your run is staying wet 1/2 the year you will not get rid of the smell. If there is any way to put a solid roof over your small run, that would help greatly with managing your run.

In the north, a lot of municipalities have huge free piles of wood chips from chipping curbside branches and old Christmas trees. I get a pickup truck load and spread the chips about 4+ inches thick. You rake them weekly or whatever is necessary to mix the droppings into the chips. Everything will decompose.
I think the sand will wash away in a run without a roof and it will eventually work it's way down into the soil. The wood will decompose but it will take a while. And up here, adding more wood chips is, again, free.
Being that you are in FL and your run is staying wet 1/2 the year you will not get rid of the smell. If there is any way to put a solid roof over your small run, that would help greatly with managing your run.
I do have a roof over half of the run.

Back
Top Bottom