Coop Setup

NerdTime1997

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Northeast, Ohio
Hi,
I'm new to this site and started keeping chickens this past August with my mom.
The question is, what is your coop setup like?
How large is it?, How many chickens you have?, A general idea of what it looks like?

A big thanks for any responses that I receive.

welcome-byc.gif
Go to the 'Raising backyard chickens' forum and click on 'coop and run design'. Research away through the threads and pick and choose that which will work best for you.

Welcome, NerdTime. If you look at the top of this page, you'll see the word "Coops". Click on that and you'll see more kinds and designs and sizes of coops than you ever dreamed of!

Mine is 6'x8', with a shed roof that is 8' high at one side and 6' high at the other. I have a cattle panel hoop type run attached to it so the chickens can be outside, which they are most of the time - even in cold, snowy weather. We also put up a white vinyl fence in front of it because we live in town and it's visible from the street. We didn't want it to be an eyesore. Right under my name and avatar you will see "My Coop". You can click there and see our setup from start to finish. I had 22 chickens in there to start with, and am now down to 10, plus one chick that hatched in October. My coop has a lot of ventilation and three windows that can be opened and closed.

Good luck with your chickens! You'll get a lot of information here, and everyone always welcomes questions.

Edited: I gave you hazy instructions for finding coop designs. I didn't notice it until I saw Sourland's post, so follow those directions instead of mine! I should have mentioned that there is an ad at the top of the "Coops" page I mentioned that can kinda fool you into clicking on pre-fab coops instead of what it sounds like you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies and the warm welcome. the coops I've seen so far have given me good ideas for the larger coop I want to build this summer.

There is a lot written on chicken math. Search that for size of coop and run. Build bigger than you think you will need as you can have fewer chickens than your coop and run will allow but you do not want to be contemplating enlarging your coop to accomodate more chickens. As well, the coop will take 3 times longer to build and 2 times as expensive as you think.

Welcome. This is my first coop! However we moved and now have a barn, and more chickens so they have a barn coop now. This coop has become our Bantam coop!

Back
Top Bottom