Coop size for 25 meat birds

Gravedigger

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Fair Hill, Maryland
I started this in the meat area with no response.

I'm thinking of building a coop under my deck out of site to raise birds during the winter. The area is already enclosed so there is no wind. At what age can they be put in the coop. I would make it raised off the ground to clean out into a wheelbarrow and insulated. How many square feet needed to raise meat birds to 8 -10 weeks.

Thank You

Last edited:
I would think 2 ft walls are tall enough. My meaties are 4 wks old and have almost outgrown their 4x5' pen...and I only have 10 of them! Mine will probably need 40-50 square feet to finish them out, so you'll probably need 100-125 square feet for 25 of them.

I usually do about 8 meat birds per 4x8 tractor, so 4 sq feet each for 8 weeks. However, I move the tractor weekly and let them free range after 3 weeks old or so. They are brooded outside in a 2x4 hutch attached to the tractor.

If you are doing it under your deck, I warn you, they are STINKY!!! and basically imagine cleaning out the amount of poo a layer will make from 0-20 weeks, in just 8 weeks or less.

That is still a great amount of STINK under a deck.

80 to 100 Square feet for 25 meaties. (I don't think they need as much room as standards, all they care about is eating and pooping right?)

The last of my CornishX this fall made it into early October (and we have cooler temps here than you do). I had a whole lot of space per bird compared to what most people do. The run STILL stank somewhat, especially every time you disturbed it.

It is a different sort of smell than you get from regular chickens. Sort of like a large dog with some very horrible digestive derangement
wink.png

I would not put that under my deck, no way, no how, and again I emphasize that my broilers had a lot more space than most peoples (before any were processed, they had 2.5 sq ft per chicken indoors and about 6 sq ft per chicken outdoors), and probably a lot cleaner conditions than many other people using a fixed pen, too.

Just sayin'.

I believe the industry standard is something on the order of 1-2 sq ft per chicken at the age you mention. How much better you wanna do by them is a matter of personal choice.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom