Coop training

Culauren

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2019
Tennessee
Hello all! We have 8 almost 6(ish) week old chicks. 4 are fully feathered, 2 are almost there, and 2 more have to fill out on their chest more. They’re different breeds. Should I wait to coop them all at the same time or go ahead and put the big girls in the coop now to begin coop training? They would certainly enjoy the extra room.... thanks in advance, let me know if you have any guidance!

I would suggest keeping them all together because of the pecking order forming then and them getting picked on. what are the temps like in your area? Are they too cold to move the whole flock outside?
We’re in Tennessee. It looks like the lows this weekend might get down to around 50, then warming up to lows around 60 next week. Should I hold off until next week? Thanks for your advice!

I would move all of them to the coop by the weekend, don't separate them. They should be off all heat by now and 50 isn't real cold for 6 week old chicks. With out knowing your brooder set up and if you have a light on all the time still, they might carry on when it gets dark, but they will get over it.

Oh no! I literally just separated my 2 buffs from the other girls in the brooder, because they are 1 week older and gigantic! They are all running out of room and the buffs are stomping everyone out. I put them in a different box. Now reading this, I don't want to create a disconnect amongst them all. ack.

Oh no! I literally just separated my 2 buffs from the other girls in the brooder, because they are 1 week older and gigantic! They are all running out of room and the buffs are stomping everyone out. I put them in a different box. Now reading this, I don't want to create a disconnect amongst them all. ack.
Are they actually bullying the others? I have a 3 week difference between my oldest and youngest chicks and they get along fine, though the eldest is bossy.

I would put them in the coop with the MHP (Mamma Heating Pad) at night. I put mine in their coop last spring at 4 weeks old, night time temps were 30-40ish, gave them a MHP and never looked back! They all did very well, had 4 chicks then.

Back
Top Bottom