coop windows

Those are both new construction windows so it would be pretty simple to build a frame out of 2x2 lumber so that there is 1/4" gap between the window and the frame all the way around so you can drop it in and screw it to the frame.
Then the rough opening for the window in your coop would need the same 1/4" gap all the way around to receive the frame with the window attached. Attach hinges to the top so they swing up, attach a hook screw to the center of the bottom rail of the window and another on your coop overhang and suspend them open with a chain or use a prop stick. I like the chain method because I can open them or close them as much as I want.
You can see the chain if you zoom in.
1661802978777.png

What are you going to attach the hinges to on the shed? If you already have something solid like framing ignore this. But if you have something like thin metal, plywood, or paneling walls to attach to I create a sandwich by putting a board on the inside and another on the outside and screwing them together through the siding with the siding in the middle. This stiffens the wall up tremendously and gives you something solid to screw into.

What are you going to attach the hinges to on the shed? If you already have something solid like framing ignore this. But if you have something like thin metal, plywood, or paneling walls to attach to I create a sandwich by putting a board on the inside and another on the outside and screwing them together through the siding with the siding in the middle. This stiffens the wall up tremendously and gives you something solid to screw into.
I will have T-11 siding, but part of me was thinking i'd fix the to trim piece to the siding and have it hinge off of that. Love the idea of reinforcement.

Those are both new construction windows so it would be pretty simple to build a frame out of 2x2 lumber so that there is 1/4" gap between the window and the frame all the way around so you can drop it in and screw it to the frame.
Then the rough opening for the window in your coop would need the same 1/4" gap all the way around to receive the frame with the window attached. Attach hinges to the top so they swing up, attach a hook screw to the center of the bottom rail of the window and another on your coop overhang and suspend them open with a chain or use a prop stick. I like the chain method because I can open them or close them as much as I want.
You can see the chain if you zoom in.
View attachment 3240374
Love your set up. I like the idea of a 2x2 frame around the window proper, but when it comes to making it look nice I figured i'd use trim pieces on top of that frame. From there I can't figure out where you'd put the hinge to make it functional. In my head the trim would make it so it would be fixed.

I like the idea of a 2x2 frame around the window proper, but when it comes to making it look nice I figured i'd use trim pieces on top of that frame. From there I can't figure out where you'd put the hinge to make it functional.
If you look at some coop builds, you'll see many people simply externally mount the hinges on top of the frame. You'd need two frames for this - one fixed around the window, another that goes around the window frame attached to the coop siding. I would consider sandwiching some HC under the frame on the siding so there's protection when window is open.

Back
Top Bottom