"Coop without run" name?

cluckkatie

Chirping
Jan 1, 2018
Hi all,

I'm looking for a coop without a run, since I'm planning to make my own out of chicken wire fencing. The runs on many coops online look too small.
However, I'm having a hard time looking for ONLY the part where the hens go to roost at night. I tried searching on eBay "chicken coop without run" but that didn't turn out. Is there a specific name for a coop without a run? Or would I just have to get a dog house? Please note I am getting three hens to start out with.

Thanks

Katie

Hi all,

I'm looking for a coop without a run, since I'm planning to make my own out of chicken wire fencing. The runs on many coops online look too small.
However, I'm having a hard time looking for ONLY the part where the hens go to roost at night. I tried searching on eBay "chicken coop without run" but that didn't turn out. Is there a specific name for a coop without a run? Or would I just have to get a dog house? Please note I am getting three hens to start out with.

Thanks

Katie

Welcome Katie good question do you live in town out in the country ? chicken math is real go to buy three come home with 10 yes does happen real easy.. many without skills go to old sheds or buying on at any hardware store.. Stay way away from store bought coops most are awful.. I* would invest a bit more buy Hardware cloth for you run bury part under and out so predators are unable to get under it..

Welcome Katie good question do you live in town out in the country ? chicken math is real go to buy three come home with 10 yes does happen real easy.. many without skills go to old sheds or buying on at any hardware store.. Stay way away from store bought coops most are awful.. I* would invest a bit more buy Hardware cloth for you run bury part under and out so predators are unable to get under it..

I live in the suburbs, so getting the city to approve hens was a huge undertaking..!

I live in the suburbs, so getting the city to approve hens was a huge undertaking..!

I will bet it was remember you will want to clean the coop and get eggs out might be easier to the yard shed then the run from the door of it you will have many predators there in the city

Hi all,

Thanks

Katie
After learning my lesson the hard way,I highly recommend that you build your own chicken coop/house. If you buy online you are going to spend a zillion dollars on one that is actually what you need, or you are going to buy one that ends up being way to small, and poorly made.
I paid about $200 for a "chicken coop" that was advertised to be for 3-4 chickens. I found out the hard way that it was WAY too small, probably large enough for 1-2 rabbits.
In the end my hubby went to Lowe's and paid about the same for materials to build a coop that was what we needed.
Also, if you want the coop without the run this is probably the best way to go. It does not have to be fancy!
I do wish that we had taken the roof out farther on the sides, and had painted it before it rained for the first time. But my girls love their new home, and it took the hubby one Saturday afternoon to build it.

PS: My chickens would never have survived Harvey in the coop that we bought online.
Here are a couple of photos of our coop. We have three hens and it's perfect. girlsathome.jpg coopconstruction.jpg chickencoop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom