Coops for warmer climates??

mrsemma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Hello!!

I see all the designs for colder climates, what are your favorite tips & elements for hot summer weather (90-110) with a handful of chilly freezing nights in the winter.

I've planned several vents & doors, but before we cut, I thought I'd ask!!! :)

We usually have a wire covered opening or two for air flow that we can hang carpet in front of when it gets cold. We usually sprinkle the yard down on really hot days and I plan on installing a few misters to come on automatically between two and four in the afternoon during the summer. We also build our houses and yards under trees whenever possible. We see 100 and above most days during the summer.

mindwing

I'm in North Florida so my pens are all wire sides with one wooden side usually to the north. No coop. Most if not all of the pen is covered. On really cold days I will put plastic or tarps on most sides with usually one open.

We have an open air coop. Three framed sides with hardware cloth and the back (facing north) is corrugated plastic siding. The siding wraps half-way around the two sides.

those last two sound just rught. Mine technically has 4 walls, two poartly wire, but it s designed to be s breezy as anything open air. the chickens actulally go in there in the heat of a summer day because it is cooler than under some big, sprawling bushes they hafe, and there is a breeae, both from the box fan that runsal summer and from its posion, which acts a bit like a wind tunnel.

I have at times covered part of the wire with plastic, but the last two winters, all I did was turn off the fan.

I'm in central GA and we have hot, high humid summers. Copied the Wichita Cabin Coop, placed under deciduous trees, added more room this spring. The coop and under the coop stay much cooler than the new addition which gets blasted by sun from am til noon. Added front shade with a coolaroo sunshade we lower by 10 am and raise by 12 -1 after sun is blocked by roof. And an outdoor fan to keep breezes blowing.

Considered one of the "open air" type coops, but we do get heavy storms with high winds and wouldn't want to see the girls blown around.

The biggest problem here is heat. We do get cold but record was 5 degree low last winter and didn't bother my BO's or BR's. Make sure to include a lot of ventilation - and include adjustable shutters to control sun, wind, cold.

Here's some pic of my coop - original and with addition.

Back
Top Bottom