corecting angel wing?

pookiethebear

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I noticed that my one Pekin duck's left wing is sticking out. I did a bit of research and found out it is angel wing. How do I correct this? The duck is a little over 4 weeks old. Do I tape around the whole body of the duck or just around the wing?

First you fold the wing under in what should be it's normal position. Then you just tape around the wing just outside of the "elbow" without getting too close or you can cut into the wing. Tape it up under there tight and secure and leave it for a couple of weeks. Usually when it's time to come off the tape is falling off anyway. You do not have to tape to the body.

I just did this two weeks ago with one of my goslings and it worked perfectly! I only left her taped for three nights though.

there is another reference on here for doing it for just a week and it has pictures.

Also, I've learned to reduce the amount of protein in their diet (from this site - I've learned so much!!)

My son and I taped up Hennerietta's (Henery??) wing last night. She seemed ok with it. She only screamed bloody murder when I got her picked up out of the brooder cage. We put her on a table and ds held her calm while I positioned her wing and taped it up. Then I talked real soft to her and stroked her to get some touch time on her. These ducks are really anti- touch.... hoepfully she will respond. She seemed a little better to me this morning when I fed and watered them. She came right up to the water jug while I was standing there and the other 2 followed suit. She tried to nibble at the tape some last night but seemes to be leaving it alone now.

Do you think 3 days is enough? Or should I leave it taped up until the tape starts to get ratty and fall off?

I have used a piece of the leg of panty hose or knee high. Use the calf or thigh area, whichever fits snugly. It is elastic enough to allow movement, but confines evenly. Just make a small hole for the opposite (good) wing. Fold the bad wing into place and put the pantyhose on. You will have to take it off every 4 or 5 days to allow stretching and flapping, and put back on for another 4 or 5 days as needed.

Back
Top Bottom