Corid & Medicated Chick Starter-Grower Together? + Videos

PixieAndDust

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Can Corid 20% Soluble Powder (1/2 teaspoon per one gallon of water) and Medicated Chick Starter-Grower feed be administer simultaneously?

Chicks were fed Medicated feed from 04-02-16 to 04-04-16.

Chicks were watered with organic, raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered ACV (one tablespoon per one gallon of water) from 04-02-16 to 04-04-16.

Chicks were not given any grit since they were fed Chick Starter-Grower feed.

Pulled Medicated feed @ 7 PM 04-04-16

Pulled ACV water @ 7 PM 04-04-16

Administered Corid water @ 7:30 PM 04-04-16

But have not fed. Chicks are hungry.

mithious states that Corid & mediated feed cannot be mixed, but does not explain why.
Quote: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/814578/corid-and-terramycin-together/10

What can chicks eat while drinking Corid water?

Last edited:
I always feed medicated chick feed. And have not stopped feeding it while treating with Corid. It is ok to feed medicated feed while treating with Corid. There is such a small amount in the feed that it doesn't hurt. But if you vaccinate your chicks for coccidiosis, you do not want to feed medicated feed.
Why are you giving the Corid? Are you treating or using it as a preventative? The amount per gallon is not enough to treat.
Also, I tried the chick feed you are using for my silkie chicks and had problems. One thing the crumbles were too big for them and it gave them runny poop. I switched feed and things were better.

marneypoo,

Thanks for replying!

Why am I giving Corid? My new batch of chicks (want to add to my 2014 flock) showed beginning signs of pasty butt. Cleaned & treated vent. No blocked vent. All pooing normally, but was concerned that pasty butt originally occurred because of Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is deadly and moves fast. That is why if I even suspect that it might be Coccidiosis my course of action is to err on the side of caution and administer a 5 to 7 day treatment. Better safe than sorry. Corid is not harmful to chickens who do not have Coccidiosis, but if they do Corid can easily save them.

I did not have a fecal smear performed before I administered Corid or the medicated feed. Testing for Coccidiosis is only going to tell you one thing: that your chicken is positive (as the majority of chickens have already been exposed to it or vaccinated against it).

None of my birds have ever received the Coccidiosis inoculation.

Corid was administered to treat and the medicated feed (plus ACV water) was to prevent.

Since the pasty butt occurred before the medicated feed was administered (opened box and had pasty butt chicks
hit.gif
), I feared the 0.0125% Amprolium in the feed would not be strong enough as the bag states that the feed aids in prevention and not treatment. However, I used the medicated feed anyway to verify if their symptoms would change. They did not; therefore, I discontinued the medicated feed and administered Corid instead.

Fearing that 0.0125% (medicated feed) plus 1/2 teaspoon (Corid) would been an overdose of Amprolium, I opted to administer the Corid alone.

Country Road's Medicated chick feed is the only medicated feed that I have fed to my chickens (both 2014 & 2016) and never once had a problem with the brand. If crumbles are too big, I chop it up in the blender or food processor. I strongly feel that the chicks developed paste butt from the hatchery or from the stress of transit; not from the feed.

I still mix this brand of feed with my layers feed and serve to my adult 2014 hens.

Thank you for verifying that medicated feed and Corid is OK.
hugs.gif

When the bag's label stated otherwise I was extremely concerned as that is the only chick feed I have. It is because of the information on the label that my babies got hard boiled eggs & sand tonight instead of feed.

Performed search within the BYC's website and 1/2 teaspoon of Corid per gallon of water is a treatment dosage discussed in a lot of threads.

What is the correct Corid 20% Soluble Powder treatment dosage?

Last edited:
Is Coccidiosis specie specific? According to Google, Coccidiosis is specie specific. For example, dogs have their own "canine" strains, cats have their own "feline" strains, chicken have their own "poultry" strains, cattle have their own "bovin" strains and Coccidiosis cannot mutate into another host's "strain".

http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/coccidia
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...nagement/41/life-cycle-and-types-of-coccidia/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidiosis

However, there are posts in some BYC threads claiming that Coocidiosis is not specie specific and that infected chickens can pass it on to cats, dogs, etc.

Can anyone verify this?

According to Google, Coccidiosis cannot survive extreme hot and cold. Can someone please explain "extreme"?

For example, bed bugs can be destroyed by drier heat and baby bottles can be sanitized by dishwasher heat.

Therefore, will washing fabrics in hot bleach water and then drying in the drier destroy Coccidiosis?

Also, will washing all plastics in hot bleach water via dishwasher destroy Coccidiosis?

Any post that says the Corid powder dose is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon is wrong. That dose was based on flawed science.

The correct *severe outbreak* dose (0.024%) is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 days.

The correct *moderate outbreak* dose (0.012% is no less than 3/4 teaspoon per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

I've done the math, weighed the powder... Trust me, the dose is as shown above, it is not 1/2 teaspoon.

-Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you for verifying the dosage. I sincerely appreciate it.
hugs.gif

Been researching all night and there is so much contradicting information.

Dumped my 1/2 teaspoon Corid 20% Soluble Powder per gallon of water and made a fresh batch with 1.5 teas/gal H2O.

I am taking no prisoners! I am treating both of my flocks simultaneously regardless if they are symptomatic or asymptomatic.

Do not know if it is pasty butt or Coccidiosis (as I never had either before), but I am treating it like it is Coccidiosis.

Regardless of whichever it is, everyone is exposed now.
sad.png

The silver lining in all of this is that a.) I caught whatever "it" is early and b.) now everyone will be immune to whatever "it" is.

Now if someone could confirm if my cat can contract it... Google says no, some BYC posts state yes.

Called my vet. He was unavailable.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Chickens get 9 or more of their own coccidia, turkeys get 7, ducks get a few... It is species specific, so no need to worry about your other animals.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom