corn and their body temp

All digestion creates heat, but it does not raise body temperature. Birds, as are mammals, are homoethermic...temps are fairly constant. Does your body temperature raise if you eat corn (yeah, maybe a fraction of a degree, but your body regulates it). That being said, there was a paper recently presented at the Australian Poultry conference suggesting summer diets have more fat to reduce the SDA (specific dynamic effect, or heat increment of feeding) because fats have less SDA than carbohydrates. The idea is that the bird has to "work (i.e. behavioral changes, gular flutter)" to dissipate the extra heat generated from digesting carbohydrates, and it reduces "productive energy" which is the energy converted into egg production. A diet higher in fats would increase the available productive energy by reducing maintenance energy.

Clint

Quote:
Swine producers have been using higher fat levels in summer rations for many years to overcome the heat induced feed intake suppression. We are also using more synthetic amino acids in summer rations for sows to reduce the heat increment from soybean meal.

Jim

Corn Will Not raise there body temperature!

Chris

Actually...”Corn itself does not raise a chicken's body temperature. It is a carbohydrate source providing energy to the chicken's body. There is an increased energy need during the winter and adding cracked corn (or scratch grains) to the diet in winter provides the extra energy the chicken's body needs to keep warm. It is used in place of adding additional heat to the poultry house. It is not advised to give extra cereals to the diet of chickens in the summer. Chickens eat to meet their energy requirement and will eat less of the complete feed if given scratch grains or cracked corn. This can result in a nutritional deficiency.”

all corn creates body heat.. its the high sugars changing over .. in all animals not just chickens,,. I am giving my the scratch grains that is a mix of all kinds including corn,,,, but it is just a goodie additive .. if they are doing well with the heat keep feeding them their goodie if you notice any of them having a problem cut back.. no biggie,,,

Pink

all corn creates body heat.. its the high sugars changing over .. in all animals not just chickens,,. I am giving my the scratch grains that is a mix of all kinds including corn,,,, but it is just a goodie additive .. if they are doing well with the heat keep feeding them their goodie if you notice any of them having a problem cut back.. no biggie,,,

Pink
It is rumored that corn, whether whole or cracked, elevates the body temperature of a chicken. This is a false statement. Corn fed chickens do not have an increase in body temperature when consuming corn. Corn is a ‘hot’ food item, yes, but only in reference to calories, not heat. There is no rise in body temperature when poultry consume it. None at all. Regardless of the season in which it is being offered. No way, no how. Please remember this. Most chicken feed contains more corn than any other grain. And here's a little something from Purdue farms.....Our chickens are fed an all-vegetarian diet that includes grains – PRIMARILY CORN and soybeans (in the form of soy meal), mixed with vitamins, minerals and amino acids to ensure a nutritionally balanced diet. I'll take the word of the 3rd largest producer of poultry in the US over some local 'good ol boy ' who was raised up on backwoods myths.

Back
Top Bottom