corn-free feed recipe?

TaylorC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Fort Collins
I've done some research, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information, or at least a lot of varying information.
My daughter can't eat corn, or eggs. We've heard of people who can't eat eggs or soy being able to eat soy-free fed eggs, so we're going to give it a try.
There doesn't seem to be a way to do it cheaply, but I'm thinking of mostly (~70%) rice, field peas, millet and oats, in that order, and then some worm meal and bone meal, with brewers yeast and alfalfa in the winter. How does this sound? On the spreadsheet I was coming up with about 15.5% protein, depending on who's numbers you look at (especially regarding the peas.)
I also read somewhere that the peas need to be roasted for a bit?
Any help with feed recipes is appreciated, but particularly as regards replacing corn carbs.
I should add, these guys range quite a bit on my small lot, lots of dandelion, thistle and bindweed in their area. We also give them a bit of kitchen scraps most days.

I am not a poultry nutrition expert by any means.. But I find the subject interesting and is a "hobby" of mine. With that said I think of the amino acid Lysine when I think of corn. One would need to be sure you are getting that. Here is a simple google search on the subject:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...IQvwUoAQ&q=lysine+substitute+for+corn&spell=1

Here is what I feed my birds: (Yes I have 10% corn in the mix, but could eliminate it or use Triticale or Barley.)
Making your own feed is a complex time consuming process, that does not nessarly save money. I have spent 100's of hours educating myself on the nutritional needs of poultry and attributes of different grains.... What do you gain? Knowledge and "designer" eggs this way!
wink.png

When coming up with a poultry feed think: More variety of grains and legumes is better than less.

Organics North Chicken Feed

6 part Black Oil Sunflower (17%P)
6 part Oats (12%P)
6 parts Red Wheat (17%P)

3 part Field Peas (24%P)
3 part cracked Corn (9%P)
3 part whole Flax (34%P)
3 part Alfalfa (17%P)

.5 part Kelp
.125 Oyster shell
.125 DE
.125 Azomite

Notes:
For daily mash first 3 ingredients are mixed and sprouted. Last 8 ingredients are mixed and wetted for mash prior to mixing in with sprouts.

Proper ratio is as follows for daily serving..: 2 parts sprouts to 1 part mash.

Above mix has ::: PROTIEN= 17% unsprouted

Sup. With meat or fish which is about 25% protein

Sup with ACV, Kombucha, Yogurt or water kefir for probiotic..

I also grind all of the ingredients and offer it 24x7 as a dry mash.

ON

Wow. Thanks ON! I like the idea of variety; thinking of adding in small amounts of various grains once I get the basic recipe down. Quinoa, millet, milo, peas, lentils, gr-oats etc. Quinoa and dandelion both have "some" lysine. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll look into that bit.
Couple of Q's:
no sea salt, is that why the kelp?
17% unsprouted seems more than enough for layers, is it worth the hassle? I'm hoping to just grind a week's worth of mash and be done.

Quote:
Yep the kelp is for the salt and lots of great trace elements too. (Once in a while I grind up a few whole shell on salted peanuts. They really eat the feed when I do.) Yes 17% is fine. We just like the taste of the eggs with the sprouts and the chickens love love love them.

I also grind it all up and they eat quite a bit of it as a dry mash during the day, so not sprouting and serving a wet mash should be fine.

Ohhh Quinoa! I very much want to feed quinoa some day. I am pretty sure you have to rinse it to get the saponins off first. Consider some whole flax too, good protein and decent omega 3. Also heads up on the amino acid Methionine, which is mostly found in animal proteins such as fish meal, Black oil sunflower has some too. (And if you are grinding small batches you can get away from the spoilage problem.) Most commercial mixes use a synthetic methionine.

Good Luck and have fun!

ON

If I could I would like to make a suggestion for you.
If I was in you shoes what I would do is get a bag of "all grain" pigeon feed with out corn then supplement with meat or fish meal and Black Oil Sunflower Seed.
You can get Pigeon feed with or with out corn and soybean.
Check the feed mills around you they should have it or be able to get it for you..
(not feed stores like TSC they wont have what your looking for)

Some examples of Pigeon Feed I have seen/ used are -
• Racing Pigeon - 21.5% Protein - NO CORN
Contains: Canada Peas, Maple Peas, Safflower, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, White Kafir, Red Milo, Vetch.
Crude Protein (min) 21.5% Crude Fat (min) 4.0% Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%

• Breeder/Conditioner - 16% Protein - NO CORN
Contains: Canada Peas, Red Milo, White Kafir, Maple Peas, Oat Groats, Austrian Peas, Whole Wheat, Safflower Seed, White Millet, Red Millet, Canary Seed, Vetch, Buckwheat, Rice.
Crude Protein (min) 16.0% Crude Fat (min) 3.5% Crude Fiber (max) 8.0%

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
You got to love a good Pigeon Feed.
Its Super clean and some of the best grains you can have in a feed.

I use a 14% protein "all grain" pigeon feed as a "scratch" and to cut the protein of the game bird feed I use and it work great.

And yes I for got to say to supplement the layers with Oyster shell..

I know some people that use a "All in One" Oyster shell Grit mix like this. http://www.jedds.com/-strse-205/NATURAL-GRIT-2.5kg-fdsh-25kg-%28Natural/Detail.bok

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom