Cornish meat birds housing

I have to say it depends how old they are. I had about 20 slow growing birds in an 8x8 tractor who were 5 months that didn't tear up the grass. The difference between them and the meaties was that the meaties poop so much more than the conglomerate of poo in the morning can sort of pack down on top of the grass, which is not good. When they're little (4 weeks) they don't scratch or poop as much, and you can put 40 in an 8x8 tractor. As they get larger, they put more stress on their environment. I know that we know this intuitively, but it is useful to think about when planning.

Ours destroy the grass, but not through tearing it up. It's just the pure volume of poo produced by these beasties. I move the chicken tractor once per day when they are young, but they amount of slaked poo left behind is HUGE. The rain will eventually wash it into the soil, but it's still really gross. I let them out to play in the evenings when they're a little older and that makes a difference so that the poo isn't so concentrated in one place.

Ok then, I think I will do a more permanent style pen with a deep litter and just spread it once a year. Any substrates to avoid, I have multiple types I can use ie: hay, straw, sawdust both green and kiln dried, shredded paper, dry corn stalks, 2 types of sand a regular washed sand like on beaches or a course sand that has stone smaller then pea gravel

Ok so no panels under and wire around got it. Next question will they destroy my yard if I only move it 1 time a day? My yard is pretty nice and my wife is worried they will kill the grass. I work 6:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday thru Saturday and really would only be able to move it 1 time i always seem to be running late

You might do well watching the Chickens at Polyface Farms video on YouTube. He discusses raising broilers in a tractor, the proper bird-to-tractor ratio, and shows moving the tractor easily. It is, by far, the best video on this topic that I've seen. I'm not sure how large your yard is, but he discusses the idea for backyard chickens, too.

Ok then, I think I will do a more permanent style pen with a deep litter and just spread it once a year. Any substrates to avoid, I have multiple types I can use ie: hay, straw, sawdust both green and kiln dried, shredded paper, dry corn stalks, 2 types of sand a regular washed sand like on beaches or a course sand that has stone smaller then pea gravel

One thing to remember is that everything I've ready says the broilers produce a massively larger amount of poop versus the layers. I'm not sure I would use deep litter for this method or keep it cleaner. I hear using fermented feed drastically reduces the small of their poop, but also decreases it somewhat, too. For substrates, you can use most things you mentioned. I would avoid saw dust, although wood chips from a router would be ok. Also, avoid shredded paper unless you know it's acid free and there is no ink on it. A lot of ink is toxic to animals.

If you do not do the deep litter method, use the washed sand. Ideally, the river sand is the best. I believe it's sized between the washed sand and the course sand. It will help the poop conglomerate and make it really easy to use a typical kitty litter scoop to clean with.

You might do well watching the Chickens at Polyface Farms video on YouTube. He discusses raising broilers in a tractor, the proper bird-to-tractor ratio, and shows moving the tractor easily. It is, by far, the best video on this topic that I've seen. I'm not sure how large your yard is, but he discusses the idea for backyard chickens, too.

One thing to remember is that everything I've ready says the broilers produce a massively larger amount of poop versus the layers. I'm not sure I would use deep litter for this method or keep it cleaner. I hear using fermented feed drastically reduces the small of their poop, but also decreases it somewhat, too. For substrates, you can use most things you mentioned. I would avoid saw dust, although wood chips from a router would be ok. Also, avoid shredded paper unless you know it's acid free and there is no ink on it. A lot of ink is toxic to animals.

If you do not do the deep litter method, use the washed sand. Ideally, the river sand is the best. I believe it's sized between the washed sand and the course sand. It will help the poop conglomerate and make it really easy to use a typical kitty litter scoop to clean with.

I ferment my feed and I can't smell the birds at all. Hasn't reduced the amount of poop imo though, its ALOT.

Better put some money in your budget for bedding then. When 50 birds hit the 5-6 week mark, you'll need to add new bedding daily to keep up, and it will still be a mess. IMHO, tractors are the best way to go for the birds and you. If you do them in your yard, they do make a mess of it, but it recovers quickly with a little rain or a spraying with the hose. Plus, you'll have the greenest grass on the block a few weeks later (at least where the tractor ran).

Back
Top Bottom