Cornish Rock Chicks.

ESTES-- I dont know much about that stuff but I sure hope your chick will be ok. If the other chickens are pecking his feet and hurting him I'd say to keep him separated from them then. Like in a cage or sectioned off area. I know chickens dont like being alone tho.
-------------------------------------

My cornish rock pets from TSC are 7 weeks old today. All 6 of them are doing well so far. When I 1st put them outside they acted as if they had a hard time with it, now they seem to do better with the heat and all that so far.

My fb friend butchered her cornish rocks at the age mine are and they were bigger then mine but since I dont plan on butchering mine I have not feed them non stop to fatten them up. I scatter their feed and make them work for it scratching. I also feed them mullberries and scraps. They like apples too.

I love the sound of their beeping and cheeping it sounds so cute even cuter then my other chicken breeds.

I look at those cornish rocks and feel bad for their breed knowing that they are purposly bred to get fat so fast that they must suffer so horribly. If I were to raise chickens for meat I would choose a breed that doesnt suffer so much.

They are most certainly piggies tho. I have a cage in my chicken pen with young chicks in it. It has a light in it for warmth for the babies and this kind of lights up a portion of the chicken pen. I think it is because of the light that a few of my cornish rocks and other chickens are up pecking around eating worms late at night and in the middle of the night. I feed them before bed so I know its not from starvation issues. The light may be confusing them.

Im so excited that my almost 6 month old cornish rock hen has just started up laying eggs.
yippiechickie.gif

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Her eggs are big fat and double yolked like I like them to be. I cant wait until the other 2 cornish rock hens start laying.
D.gif

mine arent laying mine are gonna be taken care of asap in time for thanksgiving and to be cooked in a big turkey fryer. they are almost 6 months and weigh god knows how much. i free ranged them the past 3 months by letting them just roam everywhere. ive got em butterball fat. i garuntee they weigh every bit of 20 pounds

ok i got some cornish rock chickens from tsc 2 i gt 6 yellow 1's. got them on april 6,2010 and they have lost there yellow feathers and they have changed 2 white...i got my first eg from them yesterdaybut i think they are 2 young 2 be laying eggs just yet...can someone tell me how old they r suspossed 2 be b4 they start laying and how old my chickens might be?

My cornish rock hens started laying eggs at about 6 months old. ( I think, I forget now) Most of the time they lay very large double yolk eggs for me. They lay every 1-3 days.

Mine started getting a lot of those white feathers at about age 2 weeks. They get real scruffy looking and smelly at about that time too until all the feathers grow in.

Last edited:
We want to keep some Cornish rock as pets and breeding them. how can we keep them for more than a month. more like.. year.
We dont want to keep buying cornish rocks from anywhere, we just want to breed our own meats chickens.

We want to keep some Cornish rock as pets and breeding them. how can we keep them for more than a month. more like.. year.
We dont want to keep buying cornish rocks from anywhere, we just want to breed our own meats chickens.
If you want to do it for fun, go ahead. But you certainly won't be saving any money. It costs far more than the cost of the chick to raise and care for breeding stock to produce your own chicks. Bear in mind the Cornish X chicks you buy will not breed true, and while it is possible to keep them alive until they are of breeding age, it isn't easy.

If you want to raise your own meat chickens, you would probably be better off to select another breed. I don't think you will be saving any money doing that, either. Not only is there the cost of maintaining your breeding stock, but it takes longer to get other breeds to butcher weight, and it takes more feed for pound of gain than it does for the Cornish X. If saving money is not your objective, and you just want to breed and raise your own meat chickens, more power to you.

If you want to do it for fun, go ahead. But you certainly won't be saving any money. It costs far more than the cost of the chick to raise and care for breeding stock to produce your own chicks. Bear in mind the Cornish X chicks you buy will not breed true, and while it is possible to keep them alive until they are of breeding age, it isn't easy.

If you want to raise your own meat chickens, you would probably be better off to select another breed. I don't think you will be saving any money doing that, either. Not only is there the cost of maintaining your breeding stock, but it takes longer to get other breeds to butcher weight, and it takes more feed for pound of gain than it does for the Cornish X. If saving money is not your objective, and you just want to breed and raise your own meat chickens, more power to you.
Ooh! I never thought of that. haha
Isnt there other breeds that would breeding?

I heard that Dark Cornish is good for the show and stuffs like that.

My Cornish rock has a patch of fluff missing but I've been watching and no one is picking on him so im not sure what to do our of i should worry think he is doing it to himself trying to clean off or something

These things tend to outgrow their covering whether it is fluff or feathers. They will all have naked patches from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom