cornish rocks.

rwdeets23

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
has any one ever kept them with there flock and got ok egg production.. ive had some be for but never kept them around to see ... i just bought 13 today and a lady at the feed store said she has some that are laying pretty good. i was just thinking about saving some or should i just butcher them..

Several people have kept them for a few years. I think usually they ration their feed, though sometimes they just let them free range. Keeping them moving is probably a big part of the battle. Of course they get huge. I've also read they are pretty good layers, and I think someone had one go broody and raise chicks.

There might be more about this in the meat birds forum.

Several people have kept them for a few years. I think usually they ration their feed, though sometimes they just let them free range. Keeping them moving is probably a big part of the battle. Of course they get huge. I've also read they are pretty good layers, and I think someone had one go broody and raise chicks.

There might be more about this in the meat birds forum.

ok thank you.........

I have three dark Cornish, along w/ three EEs. IMO, they are great layers of medium-large, light brown eggs. Each is a pretty steady daily layer.

They are personable and charge the back door whenever I walk by it, expecting me to come out and offer up a treat. They free range most of the day but have supplemental free choice pellets in their run. I think any bird will get huge if you keep them in an enclosed run with nothing but food for entertainment.

Brownie (runt of the three)

Poor Fenwik being taunted by the girls

Last edited:
I have three dark Cornish, along w/ three EEs. IMO, they are great layers of medium-large, light brown eggs. Each is a pretty steady daily layer.

They are personable and charge the back door whenever I walk by it, expecting me to come out and offer up a treat. They free range most of the day but have supplemental free choice pellets in their run. I think any bird will get huge if you keep them in an enclosed run with nothing but food for entertainment.

Brownie (runt of the three)

Poor Fenwik being taunted by the girls

ok great, ill have to pick a few out when they get bigger to add to my laying flock...
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom