Cornish X Journal

Best laid plans....

Butcher day didn't start off the way I had hoped. The scalder was at temperature when I went to bed but happened to be on the the same circuit as the dishwasher despite being on the opposite end of the house. My wife started the dishwasher before we turned in subsequently tripping the breaker while we slept so my scalder was 50 degrees too cold when I woke up. After flipping the breaker back on and getting that started I went to the pen to find that 125 very hungry cornish x are strong enough to push through my gate like a mob of teenage girls at beiber concert. Nearly all of my birds were free ranging around the yard. So much for empty crops... Lastly, 2 of the people I had coming help backed out. So, we were off to a rough start. I had planned to have 5 guys and a scalder to temp when i started. Instead I had 3 and tepid bath water.

By 11 we were finally getting into a grove with hot water and started churning through chickens. My 8 month old decided that he was going to fuss all day and not nap so I lost my packer (wife) to his demands. The 3 of us worked until 6 and processed 80 birds before throwing in the towel. Had we not had the setbacks 100 birds would have been very achievable and we may pushed through a little longer to finish the rest.

The scalder worked like a champ keeping temp all day with occasional clean outs of the pump needed to keep it circulating. The killing pots worked pretty well but sharp edges were unpleasant and it was harder to get their heads pulled through since there wasn't much of a funnel. Kill cones or traffic cones will be next year's addition to the process.

100 lbs of ice is certainly not enough, it's just what i had the ability to keep in coolers so we made a trip mid day to get another 100 lbs. 300 lbs of ice in total did the trick. I made some chicken deliveries yesterday and then knocked out 25 more birds in about 3 hours the afternoon. i'll finish the few remaining birds today.

Our yield is actually much higher than I expected. Dressed weighs were really consistent at 5.5 lbs to 6.5 lbs and the meat looks great. There was very little fat on these birds with just a chunk near the gizzard. most didn't have the fat lobes around the vent that i am accustomed to seeing. Perhaps because they were males. Folks who received their birds yesterday we impressed by the size. At this size they make a really nice presentation in shrink bags and look like volley balls.

Waste:
we filled 4 5-gallon buckets with heads, and guts, filled a trash bag with feathers and pitched about 1/2 the feet.

It won't come as any surprise but bottlenecks in the process were what killed our productivity. Last year, it was scalding. This year, not having a dedicated packer slowed us down a lot.

All in all, I'm pleased we got as many birds done as we did and I think the system would have worked to get them all done if we didn't hit so many snags. I think we'll hit our stride next year but for this year i'm excited to have succeeded in growing so many birds to such a great dressed weight and turning those efforts into food for at least 5 families. I'll run the numbers on total cost and post them in a few day. This year was much more expensive than last year on a per bird basis so it should be interesting to see how the numbers work out.

Having the plucker will really speed up matters, I can't wait till I get one, just me and the wife work on butchering usually my mom or the mother in law comes to help pack but turns into more of a goal session than a get work done session.
It's good to know your scalder was able to keep up I do need to make something for that the turkey fryer is hard to maintain and cools to much after a couple birds. How many did you kill and pluck at a time before letting it set while doing other stuff? Or are you able to just scale one after another all day long and have it keep temp?

blu: I never had to wait on the scalder so i can't say for sure what recovery time was like. It just did it's thing all day and I scalded as I needed. It did hold temp better when I replaced the lid after scalding but it was never more than a couple of degrees from my target of 148. And yes the plucker is phenomenal. if you use a wire or rope to completely submerge the birds int he scalder the plucker will desock the feet too!

rock: There are a couple of pictures and a parts list for the scalder around page 2 of this thread. Now that I know it works I'll try to post a write up of the build. I also need to clean it up a bit as it was still in a prototype mode while we tested it out so the cables need dressed. It needs pieces mounted on it and some work done to the pump system to make it easy to clean out throughout the day.

Last edited:
Well congrats!! :thumbsup You'll have to let me know once you eat one. (have you ever done this before? what were your results taste wise?)

I only ask because we did one of ours the day we got them back. They were left whole.. we boiled it and shredded it to make creamed chicken sandwiches. I found it to be a bit tough. Not super tough, but kinda chewy/rubbery. I had a few theories as to why: 1. We processed them at 9 weeks 1 day instead of 8 weeks... ( I doubt this is the reason, but possibly a factor) 2. They were not confined to a small cage the way commercial chickens are, so they did get a little bit of exercise. 3. We put a bit of a rush on the boiling because dinner was running late... I think if we had let it cook longer, it would have been better.

And I didn't notice any sort of difference in taste until my bf mentioned that he kind of did.... then I did. :rolleyes: LOL But I think this may have been all in our heads.

We bought some roasting bags and we are going to use one to do the next one and see how it does as far as tenderness. :D

We ate our first bird Tuesday, it was killed Saturday. It was excellent. I encouraged people who eat our chickens to to let the birds rest for a few days to let the meat relax. There are several ways to accomplish this. I try to keep the birds on ice for a day before packaging and freezing, however, that wasn't possible with so many birds so bout half of mine went in the freezer the same day. We'll let them defrost slowly in the fridge for 2-3 days before we cook them. We also try to brine our chickens before cooking.

Compared to a commercial bird there are a few things to consider. Commercial birds are almost always frozen before you get them, this changes the texture as does the copious amounts of saltwater they are injected with. The US government estimated that the public pays over 2 billion dollars for saltwater that's added to their poultry each year. Think about that for a minute. Chicken producers are adding 2 billion to their revenue in saltwater to "plump" the bird. They also are not required to disclose what is in the mixture they use. I think this process changes the texture and flavor a great deal.

Our birds are usually slightly tougher than store bought. The meat has a more resistance when you bite through it. You can overcome this with proper cooking temperatures and better carving techniques such as carving against the grain of the meat. I also think it is slightly sweeter. But when people ask how my birds are different I just say they taste like chicken... At least what it is supposed to taste like before the commercial operations "enhance" it.

I think even a mushy store bought bird would seem tough if it were boiled off quickly.

We let our stock simmer for 24 hours and canned it last night. I didn't trim the carcasses at all this year because i wanted to render the fat our as well. We had a great layer of rendered chicken fat on top the stock which i also canned.

We''ll start another round of stock tonight while I make pate from the livers and we'll be done with our 2016 chicken harvest.

Gotta say, i'm exhausted.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. :he I had read that you are supposed to let the meat rest... I forgot. It went into the freezer the day of processing. So, does that mean they will all be tough? Will letting them thaw slowly in the fridge before we prepare them help? I've never used brine before. But we can certainly let the meat cook longer to help with tenderness. I just don't want the remaining 5 to be tough as well. *sigh* I'm just so annoyed. :/

We ate our first bird Tuesday, it was killed Saturday. It was excellent. I encouraged people who eat our chickens to to let the birds rest for a few days to let the meat relax. There are several ways to accomplish this. I try to keep the birds on ice for a day before packaging and freezing, however, that wasn't possible with so many birds so bout half of mine went in the freezer the same day. We'll let them defrost slowly in the fridge for 2-3 days before we cook them. We also try to brine our chickens before cooking.

Compared to a commercial bird there are a few things to consider. Commercial birds are almost always frozen before you get them, this changes the texture as does the copious amounts of saltwater they are injected with. The US government estimated that the public pays over 2 billion dollars for saltwater that's added to their poultry each year. Think about that for a minute. Chicken producers are adding 2 billion to their revenue in saltwater to "plump" the bird. They also are not required to disclose what is in the mixture they use. I think this process changes the texture and flavor a great deal.

Our birds are usually slightly tougher than store bought. The meat has a more resistance when you bite through it. You can overcome this with proper cooking temperatures and better carving techniques such as carving against the grain of the meat. I also think it is slightly sweeter. But when people ask how my birds are different I just say they taste like chicken... At least what it is supposed to taste like before the commercial operations "enhance" it.

I think even a mushy store bought bird would seem tough if it were boiled off quickly.

We let our stock simmer for 24 hours and canned it last night. I didn't trim the carcasses at all this year because i wanted to render the fat our as well. We had a great layer of rendered chicken fat on top the stock which i also canned.

We''ll start another round of stock tonight while I make pate from the livers and we'll be done with our 2016 chicken harvest.

Gotta say, i'm exhausted.

Time well spent.
cool.png

No, your birds should be just fine. Lots of people freeze them right away. When you defrost just do it slow. Let them thaw out in the fridge for 2-3 days and they should be great. Brine them too if you can. There are tons of poultry brines on the web.

Back
Top Bottom