Cornish X Rocks Max. Growth?

Tervil Torv

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
First time grower here. I have 300 cornish X rocks that are now eight weeks old. According to the breeder, these chickens dress-out at 5-6 lbs in 6-8 weeks. Since I started these in mid-October in Minnesota, I assume a considerable amount of my feed has gone into energy production to combat the cold temps. However, I could be wrong! Obviously, to get those dressed-out weights, I need 8 lb birds. Will these birds grow to 8 lbs if I keep feeding them, and is it economical? I know fish reach a point of "diminishing returns" relative to feed conversion ratios. Just wondering about these chickens.

Thank you,
Tervil

How big are your birds now?

I've taken a few CX to 3 months, I think they were over 10lbs butchered, not sure on live weight. An 8lb live weight bird is absolutely achievable.

Thank you for the response. Not sure how big they are. Some are quite small still, while some others are quite large. I am at about 9-weeks now.

Tom

We do them in batches, butchering the biggest first (usually males) and letting the smaller ones grow up a bit more. I have not had much luck getting them to 8lbs live weight by 8 weeks on pasture, except for the big males. If they are on litter and confined they tend to get bigger faster. I would say you're right about feed conversion, and that you should go ahead and butcher. A 4lb of chicken is still a good size. You can always keep a few around to let them get really large and butcher them later if you're after big weights.

Back
Top Bottom