Corurnix and Bobwhite Quail Basics

Depends on what you are already feeding. When I suggest cat food or hamburger it is a supplement to something already close to their diet & usually only for 2-3 days. If all your wanting to feed is heart for a week, that would be worse then you only eating heart for 3 months. It wouldn't be very healthy. You'd be better off with cat food but it still wouldn't be very healthy for that long. High protein with fat would be better then low tho.

I feed 26-28% protein and don't have a problem with my quail. My oldest are a year and a half now but I'll be replacing them with bigger birds that lay bigger eggs. If you feed too low protein it will be hard on your hens to produce well and cots are some of the best egg producers on the planet. You can supplement with the shrimp or beef heart, just make sure the shrimp don't have too much salt and get them the proper feed as soon as you can. Free feed oyster shell should be available at all times or your egg shell quality will suffer.

Bobwhite male on the left and female on the right

Last edited:
My coturnix started crowing here and there at about 5 weeks. They are 8 weeks old now and haven't stopped. They were going at it ALLLLLLL night. I'm in the country so no one can really complain. And my neighbors can't hear so that helps. ALLLLLL night.

Back
Top Bottom