Cosmos

Laurie11111

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Does anyone know if Cosmos are safe for chickens? I can not seem to find any info about that particular plant. Thanks.

Soooooo, just reading the abstract & one chart in the second source above, 4 groups of randomized 9-month old Isa Browns on added cosmos flour 0 - .25 - .50 - .75% both ate slightly more and had slightly more laying days/slightly bigger eggs!
Cosmos is both safe and effective in these small doses for egg production.
I will now feel safe in planting it in their small pasture, since it is such a lovely & durable(?) plant! Not sure if a living plant will need much protection, but I do have stones, bricks, wood & a couple of wire cloches to employ.

My hens all agree that it is safe, at least when young. They mowed it down often for a few weeks until I started protecting it to save its lives.

I haven't seen them snacking on it lately. That may be because I redirected them long enough for them to find other favorites or it may not be as attractive to them now that it is older.

My hens all agree that it is safe, at least when young. They mowed it down often for a few weeks until I started protecting it to save its lives.

I haven't seen them snacking on it lately. That may be because I redirected them long enough for them to find other favorites or it may not be as attractive to them now that it is older.
Beyond just safe, the study shows real benefits to laying hens! You can add it to their feed if they show less interest. I add beneficials to their ferments, so they get nutrients despite their choices.

Back
Top Bottom