Cost of baby chicks

That seems high.

For mail order, vaccinated (Mareks), sexed pullets I paid between $3.26 and $3.76 for most of my birds. That includes shipping costs.

Our local TSC had chicks for $2.50 last week.

I received an email from a friend in Alaska yesterday and she paid $100 for 20 chicks
th.gif
Now that is high!! My dh says it is because they probably have to import everything in? Any Alaskans out there with verification? Goodness, I couldn't afford to pay $5 per chick! Then Alaska got a huge snowfall yesterday! They(friends) lost power and had to bring the chicks inside till power was restored and they could be returned to the out building with the heat lamps.

I live in Mobile, and the two feed stores I know of near me that carry chicks charge anywhere from $1.50-$3.00 per chick depending on breed and gender. Turkeys and ducks are a bit more, from 4-8.75.

My local feedstore orders from Privett and charged me $3 a piece for cornish X chicks. Seemed high to me because feedstores get a distributor discount. Worked out to about a $2 profit per chick.

Quote:
Pickering Valley - It's in Lionville on route 113 (where I-76 crosses under it) - A short trip from the I-76 ramps on Rt 100. I'd call first, quite a few of the chicks were special ordered and spoken for, but there were too many to all have been taken. I'm trying to remember what was there... quite a few bantams, RIRs, I think some SLW, Amaracaunas (SP?), maybe some silkies, too. We were on our way to dinner, so I was freaking out about the 2YO putting his eating hands onto the cages and floor... tasty...

http://pickeringvalleystore.com/

I think the turkeys were about the same price as the chick hens and roos.

And last night... they still had ducks, don't remember a what kind, though.

Last edited:
I guess a lot depends on where you are and if you can get chicks or not. Some stores charge higher prices because you can't get them anywhere else locally and others just charge it just to make a profit.

Our feed store sells them for $3-4 but only offer chicks once a year and they have to be preordered for "chick days" in May. Another farm store near here sells them for $6-8 a chick.

And all of these are hatchery stock, so nothing that appealing about them IMO, other than possibly good layers. I guess the main benefit for most people is you don't have to buy 25, like you do from a hatchery, so the extra cost is worth it.

Jody

I live in south west Michigan and we pay $1.69 for pullets and 99 cents for straight run. Our Family Farm and Home gets them from a Hatchery in our state.

Could it have something to do with the cost of food/feed going sky-high? Thanks, biofuels.

Back
Top Bottom