Cost to Raise Ducks either to point of Lay or for Butcher

carolynm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Bailey, CO
I was wondering if anyone here has kept tabs of their costs to raise ducks to maturity from ducklings-either to butcher age or laying?

For laying ducks I'm thinking it makes more sense to buy an adult bird for about 20-25 than raise it from a ducklings?

Anyone care to share what they've calculated as costs? I'm just talking feed costs here....

Price depends on a lot of factors. What kind of duck is most important. Then are they free range? Do you buy batch feed from a feed mill or bags from the store?

I own Muscovy. I buy batch feed that averages .23 a pound. Some of my ducks free range while others are in pens.

Indoor ducklings cost one dollar each the first month (averaging an eighth of a pound a day more or less). Two dollars each per month after that until they hit around six months old. Mine don't reach adequate butcher size till four months or older. So, it's around seven dollars per bird to raise to butchering size. Cut that in half for free range.

It also costs me five dollars per bird to butcher.

It costs around forty three dollars per year per bird to keep layers and drakes. Each hen can lay an average of twelve eggs (some are up to twenty some as little as eight). They lay twice a year if the ducklings are removed as soon as they begin to feather.

Muscovy are unique in that the meat changes with the age and sex of the bird. It's one of the only birds where you might Want a very old bird!

Old drakes have the taste and texture of venison. Adult drakes have the taste and texture of roast beef. Old hens, in my opinion, are a bit like turkey. Some people liken younger birds to veal. To me it's more like lean pork.

So, with Muscovy it's not just about price, it's about the meat quality. A two year old drake might have cost you eighty dollars over it's life, but to me the grilled steaks are worth it.

The only drawback to raising your own is that a predator attack or disease can wipe out all your hard work.

(my sincere apologies to anyone who didn't know that my birds which are genetically inferior become meat birds)

Yesterday we had to sit down and calculate what it had cost us so far per duckling to raise them so we could charge our friend the proper amount for his ducklings.

We figured it out to be $10 per duckling so far. That is for food and wood shavings. The ducklings hatched on june 23rd.

So minus the bedding it is probably $5 or $6 per ducklings.

Dependent on breed too though...the pekin ate way more than the ancona, rouens or muscovies. With Muscovies eating the least.

Back
Top Bottom