Cot quail eye plucked out... Help!

BackYardQuail

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2014
One of my golden cot quail got it's eye plucked out... I tried washing the dirt away from the eye and I ended up lifting up a piece of something... I'm guessing it's skin? I don't want to cut it off before asking y'all what I should do. Here are some pics... Maybe it's just some sort of pink eye? I see a black dot inside on the eye hole...

Sorry about the bad pictures, was using phone camera.

Also, what could cause the other quail to do this? I have an 8' x 8' aviary so I don't think it could be anything about territory, I could be wrong though.

Oh and I wouldn't want to "put him out of his misery" like several people already told me. This little guy was raise from just an egg, the only egg that hatched in my incubator, so I wouldn't want to part with him. He's my favorite out of all the ones I have.

Oh and I'm currently keeping him in the brooder, away from all the other quail. Do you think it's better if I just put him back with all the others? Do you think this behavior will continue among the other quail?

Last edited:
I am so sorry about your bird. This time of year quail can get very territorial due to the up coming breeding season. They do fight to claim mates and territories. I would not put this bird back now. Birds are very tuned into injuries and birds that may have something wrong with and will try to run them out of the flock. This protects the entire flock, at least this is what they all think. And if an ill bird doesn't leave, they can kill a bird in this condition.

Is there no eye ball there anymore? I would use a saline solution on the exposed skin and some neosporin. After it appears to heal, I would just keep it dry and dirt free until it heals over.

But I don't think this bird will be able to be kept in the flock anymore. Maybe you could find a docile bird within your flock to be with this bird, but I wouldn't keep this one with large flocks of birds having only one eye.

I agree with TwoCrows. I have a button who is sight challenged and he is fine with his female but I wouldn't keep him in a group he would be too easy to sneak up on. Do treat the eye and try to give him a bit of extra heat if needed depending on the temp in your area. He would be good with one female and possibly 2 after he heals up.

Okay thanks! I'll be putting him and 2 females into an area surrounded with mesh in the aviary so that he could be close to his flock and still a bit separated.

What should I do with the little piece of skin or whatever that's sticking out on the pictures I posted? Should I just leave it or cut it off?

When you clean it you should be able to tell if its the whole eye ball or just a part. I think I would just be sure its clean and leave it for a few days. If it doesn't fall off you might want to trim it off. good luck.

I agree with GrandmaBird here. I would let the skin just hang there for now. I have found that injured tissue will turn black and fall off on it's own when the circulation gets cut off during the healing process.

Keep us posted on the little bird!! :)

Okay so I decided to put a female into the brooder with the male so that when I put them together into the aviary they will not fight.. When I put her in there he started making sounds and jumping around as if he wants to get out... I took her out for about 5 minutes and he calmed down. Should I take her out and leave him on his own or should I leave her in there so that he gets used to her? She is one of the nicest females I have and I'm certain she wont do him any harm...

You might try to dress up this brooder with some foliage and cut branches from outside so this scared female is less terrified. She can hide among the branches until she gets used to him. If by tomorrow she is still freaked out, you might take her out and try another bird. Always keep an eye on birds that have injury however, that the bird you are placing with him doesn't try to peck at his wound.

Oh no I meant the male is scared of the female. I took her out. He does not stop hitting his head on the roof of the brooder. Do you think I should put her back in of should I just put them together in the aviary when he heals that way there will be more room for them to get away from each other if needed?

Back
Top Bottom