Coturnix: How long from pip to hatch?

Shellepup

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 14, 2010
I know it can vary by quite a bit, but how long does it usually take from the first pip til Coturnix hatch out? I've read that they will all pip then suddenly hatch together... I have 60 Coturnix eggs in the incubator right now and at least 25 have pipped but none has hatched yet. The first one pipped around 7:00 this morning and it is now 2:30. Everytime I look (I'm being good & not opening the lid!) I find another pip. Being patient is HARD.

With my recent hatch I had some that pipped and hatched like popcorn, other took about half a day or even one day to hatch.
Just make sure you humidity is right or they will have a hard time getting out after pipping.

My rule of thumb to have them not hatch is get your days mixed up and not have a brooder set up and when you get home from work there will be tons of little peepers screaming at you.......lol

I find they take about 12-14 hours from first pip till the popping of all the little babies.

Yes, 12-14 hours is sufficient timing for babies...I get my days messed up at times but I always have two extra brooders open just in case
wink.png

I've had between 12-24 hours between pip and pop. I try to wait until all are hatched before removing them, but when you're doing a couple hundred at a time it's hard! LOL! Just be patient and listen for the peeps.
smile.png

Just in case you are new, remember that the vasculature of the quail is still attatched to the egg wall, even after pipping. Don't rush it. I did that many years ago and it was a disaster.

38 as of this morning and they're still popping open! They seem to be hatching in waves. 5 or 6 will hatch at the same time, then nothing for a while, then another bunch will hatch together.

Back
Top Bottom