Coturnix & Japanese quails!!! Are they the same?

Birds1243

Chirping
Dec 23, 2023
Are coturnix and Japanese quails the same? I currently have one male coturnix and need to get him a friend. Will he get along with a Japanese quail? Is it best to get a male or female? I read that male and male can get aggressive sometimes

Coturnix and Japanese quail are one and the same!
It would be best to get your single male a few female companions. The usual ratio is 1:5, 1 male to 5 females.
Thank you! How would I introduce a new quail to my current one?

Also what age is best to get. My current quail is around 1 year old I think (didn’t have him as a chick so not entirely sure). What is the best age to get? A few months?

Coturnix quail mature in as little as six weeks, and generally have a lifespan of 2-4 years. Since you have one male, I would recommend getting three to five hens that are at least six weeks old, no more than six months old.

You will probably want them to be able to see each other but not touch for a week or so before putting them together.

Coturnix quail mature in as little as six weeks, and generally have a lifespan of 2-4 years. Since you have one male, I would recommend getting three to five hens that are at least six weeks old, no more than six months old.

You will probably want them to be able to see each other but not touch for a week or so before putting them together.
Thank you! Is there any way to determine the age of a quail? Like I said I haven’t had mine when he was a little chick but would love to know how old he is :)

Back
Top Bottom