Coturnix kept with valleys

Hail The Quail

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2015
I have had my coturnix for a couple of months now and recently finished a 16x16 outdoor/indoor pen for them and some golden pheasants. Could I mix in a group of valley quails or would that cause some crossbreeding or aggression? I understand a little aggresion is a given

Last edited:

A pic of the cage I am still constructing the indoor section it will be 6x3x3

Welcome to BYC

Inbreeding is like brother & sister, mom & soon, so on... But it seems like you asking about cross breeding. That I can't answer.

Apparently male valley quail are aggressive during the breeding season and will attack smaller birds. Valleys also pair off during breeding season so it is suggested you keep one pair per enclosure. Valley quail are quite a bit bigger than Coturnix so I don't think there is any way they will interbreed.

Valley quail are not bigger than coturnix. They cannot hybridize with coturnix. If you get a pair a valleys id keep them separate. The males are very aggressive during breeding season and would be an issue. Your biggest issue however is if you add the valleys to an established group of coturnix the fighting will probably never stop. Quail are extremely territorial of their space.

Back
Top Bottom