coturnix quail behavior

quailss

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
I hatched 2 batches of eggs and there were hatched 2 months apart. The quails from the two batches are already fully grown now and i have only 2 more left from the first batch. When i try to mix some quails from the other batch they start to fight. They peck and pull the feathers off each other. Is there a way to stop them from fighting? The two batches are kept separately but are just right next to each other and can see each other.

I hatched 2 batches of eggs and there were hatched 2 months apart. The quails from the two batches are already fully grown now and i have only 2 more left from the first batch. When i try to mix some quails from the other batch they start to fight. They peck and pull the feathers off each other. Is there a way to stop them from fighting? The two batches are kept separately but are just right next to each other and can see each other.
My way is seperate/let them fight it out/or EAT THEM ...cva34

My way is seperate/let them fight it out/or EAT THEM ...cva34

Got to agree... It's always tough to mix two different hatches. Or reintroduce a former pen mate for that matter. Its tough but it eventually comes down to just what Cva says. Build a pen for "loner", sit back and let'em work it out , or my favorite option, spank the odd-lone ones on the grill!!! Take'n a few of the existing pen members out for a week or so, the add them and the odd new bird back at the same time sometimes works. As do moving everyone to a new pen for a few day... But in the end they usually realize and punish the new ones anyway... Good luck, Bill

Here is something that sometimes works, but is not always practical unless you have an abundance of pens. Quail will "defend their territory." Try mixing the two groups in neutral territory. A pen neither group is familiar with. This can work for both Bobwhites and Coturnix. I have done it many times.

Back
Top Bottom