Coturnix quail issue

redshoulderfox

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I just recently had two coturnix hens die of something that I can not figure out. The first bird went from being healthy one day to looking lethargic, having a swollen and squishy area around her vent, and she appeared to have lost a lot of weight. Thinking it might possibly be egg bound I gave her a warm 15 minute bath and kept her in her own cage with a towel covering it. She died the next day. About 5 days later a second bird showed the same symptoms and she died before I could do anything for her. The second bird died around 5 days ago and now I have male coturnix showing somewhat similar symptoms. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on with my birds and what I can do to help them.

Pictures of your setup and a more exact description of exactly what symptoms the male is showing? Does he eat and drink? What do you feed them?
I'd separate him and put him somewhere warm for starters. The first two might well have been egg bound, so the roo might have something completely different. Could he have boinked?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Quail tend to do this when something scares them and it can cause many different symptoms - from immediate death to walking backwards in circles to sitting motionless with closed eyes and so on.

I apologize I may have jumped to conclusions because of how rapidly the other two birds died. He seemed a little sluggish on Thursday but he is moving around a bit more and although he is skinnier than I would expect him to be he isn't looking to bad.

You are welcome. He might well have boinked - they often get over boinking injuries on their own. I'd evaluate the cage and see what can be done to prevent boinking in the future - adding more cover so they feel safer and won't boink? Padding the top of the cage?

Back
Top Bottom