Coturnix quail tip #3

Jul 12, 2019
Miamisburg, OH
A jumbo quail is not just a quail that reaches 10 oz at 10 weeks of age but they also must breed true meaning at least 99% true when hatch. So for example. We have some of our SSC the schofield silver collection reach weights of way above 10oz but because they do not breed true then we will never advertise them as jumbos because the majority will not be because of so many colors!
So long story short you need to have 10 oz and 10 weeks plus they breed true for it to be a jumbo!

So if I have a half a kilo quail (A) I cannot call it Jumbo until I cross with another half a kilo quail (B), wait for 10 weeks to weight the chicks and if they are also half a kilo then I call quail A a Jumbo? Excuse me, this doesn't make sense to me.. what if quail B has the non-Jumbo genes and messes up the chicks??

So if I have a half a kilo quail (A) I cannot call it Jumbo until I cross with another half a kilo quail (B), wait for 10 weeks to weight the chicks and if they are also half a kilo then I call quail A a Jumbo? Excuse me, this doesn't make sense to me.. what if quail B has the non-Jumbo genes and messes up the chicks??
Then the line can't be called jumbo because it doesn't breed true. (Jumbo parents don't always give jumbo chicks). In this case, jumbo doesn't refer to the size, but the breed.

I think he's talking about guidelines for labeling a line vs. individual birds.

So, in the hypothetical you proposed, you could still informally call quail A a jumbo, but wouldn't sell the offspring as jumbos unless the higher weight was fairly standardized across them (unlikely if first generation if quail "B" is a bantam/standard - you'll get lots of big ones but lots all over too).

Otherwise, people could get all sorts of size genetics in the background of a bird they're buying thinking it will be a consistent size producer.

I have a bunch of birds with one jumbo parent and that meet the weight standards to be called them themselves, but I usually say they "have some jumbo genetics," or "have a jumbo parent," not "they are jumbos," - does that make sense? Even though they're the right size, they're a first generation outcross and I can't guarantee they carry all the right genetics to pass that size along to their offspring consistently (unlike true jumbo lines that have been maintained relentlessly for for years).

OK so line vs individual birds makes more sense. Still it is crazy to have a large size bird and not call it Jumbo just because you don't know the genes and the potential offspring... which you may never know anyway of you are raising Jumbos for meat.

Remember, they sell primarily hatching eggs. Can't really consider individual birds a jumbo unless you're selling the bird. Therefore, his breeding line of "Jumbos" all average 11oz or more at 10 weeks of age. Because his Jumbo Wilds will breed true 99% of the time and average a weight over 10oz at 10 weeks of age, his "Line" is called Jumbo. If you buy his hatching eggs and feed them a proper nutrition, you should hatch out almost entirely a group of birds that will weigh 10oz or greater at 10 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom