coturnix roo's - do they not crow in the winter?

bkvail

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Skagit County, NW Washington
I have 1 tux roo, 2 tux hens, 2 brown hens and a golden hen all together in one pen. I culled down to just the 6 for the winter.... I have not heard my tux roo crow in a couple months though - since around the time the hens stopped laying. Do they not crow in the winter? They all have that wonderful chirpy noise that they make though - I love that! They sound like frogs or crickets sometimes, LOL.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't crow all the time. Just every once in a while he lets one rip. He is mostly quiet though. It is the girls that never shut up
tongue.png

my welsummer roo would never shut up, LOL. I'm surprised the coturnix are so quiet. I like it though. I ended up giving my welsummer pair away and I don't miss the crowing. Although coturnix crowing is so different and not nearly as annoying, I do miss that....

Yeah ours have quieted down also...Every so often one will crow but its rare since it got cold.

Egg production is going in spurts. They completely stopped for a few days, then started with maybe an egg or two; now back up to 3-4 eggs a day from maybe a dozen or so hens.

And I love that cricket noise! Kristi

mine doesn't crow as long as he's got his gals to keep him happy- hearing him crow is rare nowadays...but when I have him pulled into a separate pen for whatever reason he is loud as all get out!

Back
Top Bottom