Coturnix vs. bobwhite

Bob white vs. Coturnix?

• Total voters

Qualien

Songster
May 9, 2018
I currently have about a dozen Coturnix quail, I absoloutely love them. They are so much fun to watch run and play. During the day when I am out I let them roam and play in my garden. I'm working on fully enclosing the garden, and adding a small insulated "hen house" to turn it into a permanent quail habitat because they love it so much. Since I don't have many quail left I am considering switching to Bobwhites, and was interested to see a comparison, or opinions on both as I have never had Bobwhites. I have read, and done my research on them, but in my opinion first hand experience is always better. So, Bobwhites vs. coturnix, which is your favourite, and why?

Bob whites will fly off the minute they get a chance.
They are seasonal layers under normal conditions.
They fight all spring if you have too many roosters.
Too many roosters can be noisy.
Eggs are great.
Meat is far better if you ask me.
Beautiful music in early morning and afternoon.

I think it depends why you want to keep quail.
I wanted lots of eating eggs, meat, and birds that wouldn’t be too hand shy. So I felt my choice was obvious cots.

I only have had bobwhites. Reason being I love their look, sounds are sooo cool. Yes aggressive! Eggs and meat can’t top. More restrictions due true game bird country wide.
My original 16 hens and 5 males this season has allowed me to hatch more than expected to date. Excess of 140 @ 50 in incubator at a time.

If you want lots of birds then stay with cots. 6 to 8 weeks ready to butcher and laying eggs. Docile.

Bob's slower to mature about 6 to 8 months before you get eggs. Imho better meat if you want to eat them. But as stated more restrictions as they are a gamebird. And they can be extremely flighty.

I have several varieties of cots. And ga. Giants and butler's in bobwhites.

Just pick what you like and enjoy them

Back
Top Bottom