Coughing or not?

luckychik

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
Some of my chickens are making a noise that I think may be coughing. My husband thinks I am crazy. I have antibiotics that I could give them. Nothing else is going on with them. What would you do?

Chickens do make a sound like a hiccup when they cough or sneeze. This may be due to dust or a respiratory disease. If they do it repeatedly, I would suspect infectious bronchitis. When you are around them in the coop, you can observe them for this. IB can cause increased sneezing at night. Here is a list of common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Do they make like a sneezing sound, or more violent cough? Do they seem just fine? Or do they look sick? Or a tad off?

Chickens do sneeze occaisonally if they are kept in a dusty enviroment, or eat too dusty of feed. However, if you notice more constant sneezing, or notice other respiratory symptoms like swelling of the face, discharge, and gurgling, your birds may have a respiratory disease. I'd start giving your birds some probiotics and electrolytes, just in case they are coming down with a respiratory disease.

Antibiotics can be used to treat respiratory diseases, but only work if the disease is bacterial. Because the disease that your birds are experiencing seems mild, its more likely that it is viral. All you can do for a viral disease is provide supportive treatment, like good feed, electrolytes, and warmth.

If any of your birds gets worse, isolate it from the flock. Give supportive care, and if that doesn't work, try the antibiotics. Otherwise, if your birds remain the same or if the sneezing disappears, they were probably fine.

It's just some of the chickens in one pen.....the one that I put hay on the ground.....and they have a coop to go in but they keep sleeping on the ground in a pile ! Idk they all look healthy and run and play and are eatting fine! I will catch a few tomorrow and really check them over and get back to you! Thanks for all the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom