Could really use some to chime in here

Newchickey

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I had posted another thread last Friday and everyone has gone quiet even though I have kept posting needing some help. Never had that happen here and I am really not sure what to do.

Friday...two eggs, looked rather crushed, but chicks inside, its was day 20, one alive for sure, another one hatching. left the broken eggs (just shells cracked up, membrane intact) under momma, later that night, hatched chick doing well, the other two dead, distroyed by momma or the hatched one.

Sunday, another chick hatched, yay a friend! 8 still under her. Monday vein style cracking in the last white egg, next day same thing, top of egg all cracked, pieces missing, membrane intact, chick inside dead. This morning another, this is day 25, should I pull all the remaining 6 eggs and bury? Just let her raise those two. She has had trouble keeping them warm when the other broody left 10 days ago.

When do I assume remaining are dead?

No I havent tried the cell phone, used a bright led. Put them on the end of a toiler paper roll and shown from the bottom. I will try again. What is happening that they are just crackling open with dead chicks, is the build of pressure from inside? I marked them because initially the girls were in the coop with the other hens and I needed to pull any eggs that got added, with in 2 days I was able to move them to my little coop. Each has 6 eggs, when my maran left the next the little silkie really struggled to keep them warm. When we had a sudden drop in temp on night I put in another girl just for the night, she immediately took some from under the silkie. Took her back out in the morning. Heres my Pru with the first little hatchling
IMG_0035.JPG

Cant candle all are green or blue, I set them under the broodys on the same day from layers in the flock
Sorry, tough call.

I would do my best to candle. Even in dark eggs, you are only looking for movement. I would consider removing all the extra eggs. The broody won't take her others off the nest and EVEN if they do hatch, they will be so weak compared to the others.. that when she does take them out they are likely to be slower and colder than the older ones. Survival of the fittest means unless you put them in a brooder they will not IMO likely survive this late of hatch. But you have to do what is right for you.

If I saw movement still, I would move them to an incubator. And let the hatch play out the rest of the way. But I think waiting any longer is just going to make it more difficult for all involved. Sometimes a double light will work.

They MIGHT still be viable, but unless they were snuck in by other hens and you say they weren't... I would be reaching MY limit of waiting.

I don't bury mine, I trash them. :confused:

Also, I don't know your whole story... but you might reconsider have 2 broody's on 1 batch next time, and avoiding that situation. Sometimes it works out. But like you say, the broody left behind is having a hard time keeping the eggs warm... chicks get big. 4 chicks might be my Silkie's limit. While my BR was able to raise (I hatched) 9.

Those unhatched eggs are stealing you joy right now. Good luck no matter what you decide. :fl

And congrats on your new chicks/broody mama!! :celebrate

Sorry, tough call.

I would do my best to candle. Even in dark eggs, you are only looking for movement. I would consider removing all the extra eggs. The broody won't take her others off the nest and EVEN if they do hatch, they will be so weak compared to the others.. that when she does take them out they are likely to be slower and colder than the older ones. Survival of the fittest means unless you put them in a brooder they will not IMO likely survive this late of hatch. But you have to do what is right for you.

If I saw movement still, I would move them to an incubator. And let the hatch play out the rest of the way. But I think waiting any longer is just going to make it more difficult for all involved. Sometimes a double light will work.

They MIGHT still be viable, but unless they were snuck in by other hens and you say they weren't... I would be reaching MY limit of waiting.

I don't bury mine, I trash them. :confused:

Also, I don't know your whole story... but you might reconsider have 2 broody's on 1 batch next time, and avoiding that situation. Sometimes it works out. But like you say, the broody left behind is having a hard time keeping the eggs warm... chicks get big. 4 chicks might be my Silkie's limit. While my BR was able to raise (I hatched) 9.

Those unhatched eggs are stealing you joy right now. Good luck no matter what you decide. :fl

And congrats on your new chicks/broody mama!! :celebrate

Okay that worked, cell phone light in the dark bathroom. I see no movement at all so I guess I will call it. None were very warm. Sad thing is eveidently all 12 had chickens and far along. I think it was the one night it got down to 49 suddenly. So she can now raise those two. Will try again in the spring. Hope one is a roo

Okay that worked, cell phone light in the dark bathroom. I see no movement at all so I guess I will call it. None were very warm. Sad thing is eveidently all 12 had chickens and far along. I think it was the one night it got down to 49 suddenly. So she can now raise those two. Will try again in the spring. Hope one is a roo

Always in the darkest place possible will make candling a tad easier. Their are so many variables with hatching, unless your eggs were left unattended for quite a while during the 49 degrees.. that probably wan't it. Our night are NEVER above 49 here. Many things can happen even in far along chickens, including the nest becoming too soiled and bacterial infection. Many will even hatch and die very shortly afterwards.

You are one of few actually hoping for a boy... if it's any consolation, I hatch about 80% boys! :he

Pics of the new mum and babes, when you get a chance... are always welcome! ;)

Back
Top Bottom