Could this be a Rooster?

bwek1114

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
BC Canada
Hey Everyone! We are new to this site and chickens for that matter! :)
We have some columbian rock hens... And one looks a bit different then the other girls. To us it seems like a rooster... What are your thoughts? this is a pic of it with one of our other girls. Thanks!

Thanks guys!
We have had them since day old, and they were supposed to be sexed!
Kind of a exciting surprise to see one end up a roo!!

I have had similar experiences with my girls that turned out to be guys... both times Barred Rocks. How I wish I could keep him and breed him with some of my barred hens. I guess I better move to the country.

Is a Columbian Rock a mix of Columbian Wyandotte and White rocks? Same thing happened to me, I ordered 10 "girls", and got 9 and a roo. The mis sexed breed I got was a Columbian Wyandotte rooster. He turned out to be the meanest, extreme human aggressive roo and I had to rehome him.

Keep us posted how it is going. Some quick advice on working around young cockrels. Be aware of his body language. When you walk near him, walk as if you are going to walk thru him, of course, being careful not appear to be running at him, but confidently look straight ahead, and make him move out of your path so to speak. I know some may disagree with me, but I wouldn't try to handle him too much, in fact, not at all. You want a rooster to see you as dominant , and he shouldn't be warm and cuddly with you, you should both have a healthy respect for each other. Be mindful to any wing flapping and pushing out his chest. I ignorantly thought it was "pretty" when my roo did it, but it's a sign of asserting dominance and he is actually testing the waters to appear to be the bigger man than you. Again I would calmly walk right through him when he does that, make him move out of your way. Lastly, no breeding goes on in your proximity, those are your hens, not his... so to speak and I would again stop any matings right in front of you, move him, move him, move him. If he doesn't take the cues from your body language, then carry a stick...and gently make him move, gently at first.. and if he still doesn't mind you, a firm poke will get the idea across. The rooster I got to replace the mean little bugger that grew into a very nasty danger, is the most wonderful of roos. He is mindful of his flock, and never makes a bad step towards me in any way. He observes what I do but from a distance, and moves out of my way whenever I approach his girls.. He allows me to tend to one of them, even if he is talking to them when I am holding one. He covers his girls but never in my presence. He is not a cuddly, warm and fuzzy guy, but that is fine with me. He doesn't have to be. Just take care of your girls, watch over them, and be the best eye candy you can be. Love my roo, he is da man!

Good Luck!
MB
MB

Newbie question: So with this looking like his a roo.... What does that mean for eggs. If they have been fertilized can we still consume them? How long would a hen have to be sitting on them for them to be considered no good for eating?

Newbie question: So with this looking like his a roo.... What does that mean for eggs. If they have been fertilized can we still consume them? How long would a hen have to be sitting on them for them to be considered no good for eating?

You can certainly consume them, there is absolutely no difference between taste of eating an unfertilized egg, and a fertilized egg. Be watchful to see if any of your girls take to sitting on their eggs, it's referred to in the chicken world as "going broody". Where did you get your birds from? My hatchery stock girls have yet to go broody, and I picked breeds that tend not to as I wanted as many eggs as I could gather. I wouldn't look to eat any egg that a broody had been sitting on for more than a couple of days. The temperature runs close to 100 degrees under a broody, and even though eggs are fine left out on a counter, being heated to that high a heat under a broody makes an egg not safe for eating in my opinion. The key of course is to collect every day, and if you are home, several times a day.

MB

Last edited:
You may like this thread,.. It shows great photos to educate yourself as to what a fertilized and unfertilized egg looks like. The only way to tell if an egg if fertilized is by breaking it open. When you start to see your roo covering your pullets, you can start checking the eggs as you open them to eat. Once your roo gets up and running, you should see your fair share of fertilized eggs. I am on my second laying season and still check every egg when I crack it open. I rarely find one that is unfertilized.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures#post_132086

MB

Wow thank you so much @Melabella that is a ton of awesome information. This is all so new to us, we are flying by the seat of our pants and learning as we go!
I will defiantly keep a close eye on the roo, I hadn't even thought of their behavior. I have a 3 year old daughter who spends her days with the chickens so will make sure to keep a close eye on him.
We got them through a hatchery. In our readings they aren't known to be too broody. I can't wait to get out first eggs!
Thanks again for all of that information. So helpful!

Back
Top Bottom