Could this be causing aggressive behaviors?

4hchickmama

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
I have 2 pullets that are a silkie and a sizzle (silkie x cochin) and they are both approximately 6-8 months old. About a month ago neither were laying still and I brought home a sebright chick. One of them promptly started laying eggs about 2 days after he got here and the other adopted him. He sleeps under her wing, he follows her around. She becomes visibly panicked when he is out of sight. Here is my question, she is not currently laying still. Could thinking this baby is hers be holding her up?

In addition, I recently added 2 pullets that are close to laying age, about 20 weeks. I expected a bit of jostling for position and sorting out the pecking order, but the pullet who adopted the chick is overly aggressive, IMO. It also seems to be associated with them getting near him. They are huge buff orpingtons and she is a tiny bantam...but she has no fear. Could this be from her thinking it is her baby as well? Or am I just playing too much into it? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? She is usually such a docile bird.

A pic of all three:

THe blue silkie is the one laying and the splash is the adoptive mama.

No one has any ideas?
hmm.png

I read an reread your post and I don't know
hu.gif

Does the adoptive mom act broody? She won't lay if she's broody, but she shouldn't be broody if she's not laying... Her not laying could be completely unrelated to the baby. Sorry, this is a tricky one!
Her aggressive behaviour is normal for a mom. My broody hens go nuts when they have babies. Very protective.

I read an reread your post and I don't know
hu.gif

Does the adoptive mom act broody? She won't lay if she's broody, but she shouldn't be broody if she's not laying... Her not laying could be completely unrelated to the baby. Sorry, this is a tricky one!
Her aggressive behaviour is normal for a mom. My broody hens go nuts when they have babies. Very protective.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure either. I'm new to chickens, but I would say she is on the broody side. She nests with him and keeps him under her wing. He is also a sebright and quite small comparatively. It could be that he is sort of a perpetual baby to her. I think I might separate them for a while and see if it improves. It is tricky! I should note that I also have a little polish chick that she doesnt bother at all, but the other, older hens, she goes after if they get too close.
barnie.gif
Shes frustrating me!!!

Back
Top Bottom