Could this be used for a duck house?

I'm sure it could. I betcha you could build something for a lot cheaper. (or even BUY a large shed for cheaper)
Make sure its nice and warm so they can get out of snow and such if they need to.

Good luck.

I would love to build one, but I have no idea how. I have a pile of 2x6 the contractor left that worked on our house and every power tool but a router.

Quote:
Just remember - it doesn't HAVE to be pretty, just functional - even UGLY coops work, some better than the really pretty ones.
You have to start somewhere, and why not use what you have on hand and just give it a go.... (just don't HURT yourself)
big_smile.png

Both my duck houses are ugly dog houses I got from freecycle. I plan on prettying them up but the ducks don't mind. My blue swedish pair go into theirs willingly every night but my khakis need to be herded in. They're younger and haven't gotten the hang of it I'm hoping. The swedes I just need to say, "go to bed ducks" and they waddle up the ramp to bed!

That is nice, but pricey! Even the outback log house (on sale for $71 should be fine! Or you can buy a plastic igloo type house for them. If you want to lock them in for safety at night, perhaps a shed or larger box type would be better. I think you can buy those smaller metal sheds for the price of that first dog house.

Quote:
That house is about 2.5 feet x 3 feet. So it is about 7.5 square feet. To find out how many ducks or chickens it will hold we divide that by 4 because each bird needs 4 feet.
It turns out 1.8.... not even 2. So that expensive dog house will only hold 1 duck or squeeze in 2 at the most. Definitely NOT 3 or 4.
For $250.00!

Try this instead from Lowes
026862105981md.jpg

Arrow 10 x 8 Steel Storage Building
$299.00

Or this one from Home Depot
7dedf4d2-2cfe-4393-9b88-deeace525d50_300.jpg

Arrow 8 Ft. Wide x 6 Ft. Deep Newport Metal Shed
$199.00/Each

They come in a little box and you take it home and put them together. I would not worry about a floor kit for it. I would just buy 2 bags of cement, pour them in mounds around the outside perimeter of the shed. Then spray it with the garden hose to cement it to the ground so nothing can get underneath. I would get a couple more bags of cement and pour them on the ground INSIDE the shed. I would sweep them nice and flat and even and then mist that with the hose too!

Then you would have a VERY secure metal building with a cement floor and outer perimeter that you could hose out to clean for the same $200.00. You could also share a corner of it for your garden tools if the chickens don' t complain
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I got the idea the ducks needed less coop room and more run space than chickens. Maybe we should only get 2 duckies, I don't want a shed size structure.

Back
Top Bottom