Couldn’t walk last night, can’t stand this morning

It is important to get them drinking and hydrated before eating. Once he is drinking, then offer watery feed. I would have to agree that Mareks disease could be on a list of possible problems, but dehydration, coccidiosis, and other things could be possible. The way the left leg goes out looks suspicious for Mareks. But leg bone deformities or injury might be possible. Make sure that your vitamins contain riboflavin (B2.) You might be interested in making a chicken sling to get him up and in front of food and water. Here is a good link about slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

It is important to get them drinking and hydrated before eating. Once he is drinking, then offer watery feed. I would have to agree that Mareks disease could be on a list of possible problems, but dehydration, coccidiosis, and other things could be possible. The way the left leg goes out looks suspicious for Mareks. But leg bone deformities or injury might be possible. Make sure that your vitamins contain riboflavin (B2.) You might be interested in making a chicken sling to get him up and in front of food and water. Here is a good link about slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Okay I have syringed 5mls in to his mouth, I’ll take his food away. I have some watermelon, could I offer that?

I have that cat carry box! I could make that one- need to get a little water pot to hang within reach though. I can do that later today, thanks.
Multi vit and electrolytes pic attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 1
Okay I have syringed 5mls in to his mouth, I’ll take his food away. I have some watermelon, could I offer that?
I have that cat carry box! I could make that one- need to get a little water pot to hang within reach though. I can do that later today, thanks.
Multi vit and electrolytes pic attached
Yes, you can give him a little watermelon.
Either one of those products would be fine to give him. If giving the watermelon and he takes it, I would give the vitamins.

The 5mls I syringed in to his mouth had vitamins and electrolytes in. He resisted most times but also just sat with his eyes closed and didn’t react at all at times. He isn’t usually very tame so this is odd behaviour

The 5mls I syringed in to his mouth had vitamins and electrolytes in. He resisted most times but also just sat with his eyes closed and didn’t react at all at times. He isn’t usually very tame so this is odd behaviour
Oh good. I would work on hydration. Offer him some plain water too, some birds don't like vitamins and just won't drink them. Watermelon is good so if he will eat a bit of that it will be fine.

I wonder if it's injury, but you should get a reaction every time you move the leg. Marek's would be a possibility.
See how he does. Hopefully he will be more comfortable in a sling. I would move him in/out of it so he can change positions a few times a day.

Poor little guy:(

Back
Top Bottom