couple of questions

k8frisby1

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
Our girls are now about 10 weeks old, and are doing well. They free range in our yard which is not all grass, and have some wild brush/tree areas and some sandy areas for them to hang out.
My questions are: Do I still need to provide grit? All they seem to do with the chick grit is dump it everywhere...but should I bump them up to the older chicken grit?
And second: I see them dust bathing under their coop in the dirt and also in some other areas in the yard...should I add some DE to these areas to prevent mites? Does the DE need to be food grade, or can I use the stuff I have for the garden (which does not say food grade)?

TIA!!

Do I still need to provide grit? All they seem to do with the chick grit is dump it everywhere...but should I bump them up to the older chicken grit?
And second: I see them dust bathing under their coop in the dirt and also in some other areas in the yard...should I add some DE to these areas to prevent mites? Does the DE need to be food grade, or can I use the stuff I have for the garden (which does not say food grade)?

TIA!!
They get all the grit they need from the soil! I have never bought a bag of "grit"---my chicks not on the ground---in brooders get a sprinkle of sand.

I have been raising chickens most of my life(60+ yrs) and I have never used DE can not help you there.

Last edited:
Re: DE (Diatomateous Earth), I sprinkle some on the coop floor before laying down new hay to help keep down insect pests. I also lightly stir a handful into the soil where they dust bathe for the same reason. As far as it helping digestion, I seriously doubt that is helps much. Being basically calcium carbonate it probably gets dissolved before it even reaches their intestinal tract.

As my ten hens are penned into a 400 Ft2 run I do spread some grit out every now and then, as it is a limited area. But I don't have a special bowl for them, as others have stated they will peck up any grit they need while looking for food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom