courtnics quail killing each other

scastle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
seem like they single out one and tear the back of its head out. dont try to mount it, just grab and rip.is this normal.never had this problem before.theres about 25 in a 4x4x8 cage.can i stop this or put them all in frezzer and start over any help

Coturnix need to be kept in the proper ratio of males to females. 1 male to 4 - 7 females. No less females, no more. Never keep males together unless you don't keep any females.

Give them enough space. Quail in cramped quarters will turn cannibalistic. Give them plenty of hidey places in the pens so they can get away from each other when they need to.

I second twocrows, you've probably got too many males. Coffee cans work as great hiding places for them too. Which variety do you have? I see this happen a lot with breeders of Texas A&M and have heard several complaints about one local breeder who tends to give all males when you want all females. I blame this more to inexperience rather than him doing it intentionally.

As a "noob" I am approaching the point of my first ratio separation. Right now I have them separated in a mixed gender (female dominate) 7 in one cage and 7 in the other. I am still waiting to firmly determine gender, at which point I'll separate 1:4. So far they have not shown any aggressive behavior.
Will there be warning signs BEFORE death or should I just separate per ratio now?

** They are real squirmy so I have yet to have attempted a vent check -- 5 weeks old **

Last edited:
I think your problem is too many Cots in a small cage. Usually by 6 to 8 weeks old, you should sex them and separate then. So you still have some time yet. Just give them more room and they should calm down.

As a "noob" I am approaching the point of my first ratio separation. Right now I have them separated in a mixed gender (female dominate) 7 in one cage and 7 in the other. I am still waiting to firmly determine gender, at which point I'll separate 1:4. So far they have not shown any aggressive behavior.
Will there be warning signs BEFORE death or should I just separate per ratio now?

** They are real squirmy so I have yet to have attempted a vent check -- 5 weeks old **

Which variety do you have?

They're wont really be to many warning signs. If you find one that's beat up, chances are that's a male. Find the other one with blood on his face/beak/chest, and that's another male.

I
Which variety do you have?

They're wont really be to many warning signs. If you find one that's beat up, chances are that's a male. Find the other one with blood on his face/beak/chest, and that's another male.

I have Coturnix (Jumbo Pharoah) Quail. So far, still no signs of aggression. One of the males is quite vocal though.

I
I have Coturnix (Jumbo Pharoah) Quail. So far, still no signs of aggression. One of the males is quite vocal though.
How old are your quails? You can sex browns very easy visually. Females lack mottling on their chest, and on the converse, males have mottling on their chest.

In regards to no signs of aggression, dont take that as everything will be ok forever. Things may be fine for a week, maybe a month, or maybe even 3 months, but one day you will come up and find one hiding in the corner, barely hanging on to life from being beat up so bad. And most of the time once blood is seen, all of the birds will peck at it almost out of instinct due to the contrast in color. It's best to play it safe and get the ratios right as soon as possible.

Last edited:
15th post
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom