coyotes everywhere!

bluebirdfarm

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
blue rock west virginia
We are having a BIG problem with coyotes this year.
so far we have not lost any livestock , YET.
I was out last pm , splitting a piece of wood for the fire , this was like 4 or 5 am and after acouple of whacks , i heard wuf , hoooooooooooooooooooooowwwlllllllllll, wuuf.
damn coyote was only about 100 yards away , i guess he she did not like my splitting LOL.
We have been locking up our goats and sheep eevery night this week .
I told Dh that i'm goin Yote hunting !!!
somad.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like it is time to consider adding more members to your herd, either an Akbash or an Anotolian Shepherd. Both of these breeds were meant to live with the herds and defend them from any predator, rather than to herd the herd from place to place. Might be a good idea to get two pups if you can locate a breeder. Or possibly some adult rescue dogs if you can find a purebred rescue in your area or online. I have heard that coyote can tag team large dogs and kill them, so it would be nice for your guardians to have backup.

Oh No! We have coyotes here as well and they drive me nuts! I know some people trap them with leg traps but I fear for other innocent wildlife and pets who might blunder into them. I have had no luck hunting them and can't poison them for the same reason I can't trap them. AARRRRGGGHHHH!
he.gif
I wish there were a simple solution!

I just saw one in my back yard today, about 7:30am, I grabbed my BB gun instead (have a shotgun too) and fired off to scared it, but that was it. It'll be back, in the mean time, I'm going to have to expand my secured run. Don't want to kill it, I have to many predators here anyways, Owls in my trees, tons of hawks, foxes, coyotes, coons, surrounded by a forest and trees everywhere. I love living out in the country, but it does mean I am in someone else's backyard too.

i seeen one the other night and i guess my nieghbor woke up in the midle of the night to noise in the back yard and looked out his slidding glass door and he said there was a pack of them growling at eachother !

thier house sits on a hill that over looks some woods and he said there was a bout 20 of them running around like crazy in the woods .

they seem to come around my area towards winter time

Does any one know if they have different places they sped there time at depending on the seasons like a summering ground and wintering ground ?

Better get rid of them before they have pups. They'll snag up a chicken really quick. By the way their fur is very good right now if you get them skinned.

Poutrykeeper08. Thier coming closer to your place in the winter because food is tougher to find, and you have food( your birds) they'd like to eat...! The rest of the yr they can likely catch enough food away from your place. I'd build up secruity for your hens, and do what i could to get rid of coyotes....it will likey get worse if you do nothing....good luck...!

They should go away in the spring because animals in the wild will be having their babies then. We have tons of coyotes but now problems thanks to our two Great Pyrenees dogs. I would highly suggest getting either a livestck dog or a Remington 870. If you get one, PRACTICE before you start shooting at coyotes and make sure you they can't get you or they will turn the tables on you(Backyard Chickens needs its members).

We're having problems with coyotes here as well. My neighbor said his son took a deer in archery and was skinning it out down the road. He turned around in the kitchen and there stood his kid covered in blood and white as a ghost. @#$#$ pack of coyotes chased him off the carcass and down the road.

Fantastic.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom