Coyotes :(

I guess so. I kinda want them where the coyotes can't get though, they're pygmies...
Is it normal for goats to be like that? One of my weathers isn't. Good boy, lol!
Have you heard anything about guard turkeys? I read somewhere that they're better than guard dogs.
I've got a jake. Didn't get him to guard, he's a pet...but if he were guarding, he'd be about as helpful as a beached fish. The dude's friendly to everything. Never met anyone he didn't like, and will walk up to any random thing and try to make friends with it. Really great cause it makes him a great pet, but are normal turkeys supposed to be good guards??? I think I got broken goats and turkey...haha.

No on the turkeys. Coyotes, and in my unlucky experience, bobcats, will both kill turkeys. I had a bobcat kill my full grown tom turkey. The only way I knew is because I had it on video (of the bobcat coming back to retrieve the turkey).

We have a fairly large flock of free range birds and horses. Have had the fox hunt, which if I had the choice would prefer that. We now have coyotes again. They lured our Newfie/St Bernard out recently and we are left unguarded. I have most our birds in pens to try and keep them safe. I can close the lower part of our barn up pretty tight, but I am terrified right now to get another dog. my kids are pretty heartbroken. When we do, breed suggestions? Cold/snowy winters and hot summers. The mix we just lost was good, but the roaming.... I cannot fence off all our acreage. Ideas???

We have a fairly large flock of free range birds and horses. Have had the fox hunt, which if I had the choice would prefer that. We now have coyotes again. They lured our Newfie/St Bernard out recently and we are left unguarded. I have most our birds in pens to try and keep them safe. I can close the lower part of our barn up pretty tight, but I am terrified right now to get another dog. my kids are pretty heartbroken. When we do, breed suggestions? Cold/snowy winters and hot summers. The mix we just lost was good, but the roaming.... I cannot fence off all our acreage. Ideas???

If they are taking down a dog that big, you need more than one dog. Preferably three. I would suggest looking into a livestock guardian dog, such as a Maremma. They tend to stay in close to their charges, unlike most Great Pyreneese.

I've watched coyote trying to lure my parents dogs. It's quite a site and doubt any loose dog could resist running after it. Maybe three large dogs could hold off a pack once they've been ensnared, hate to test that. You have to keep in mind that if in territory with overlapping wolf population they do the same to them.

I would second the multiple LGD dogs or even donkeys. Donkeys dislike anything canine and good ones will chase off any intruders - four-legged, two-legged, and even winged. They are very smart, but if you plan to have dogs with them, you will have to train them to accept your dogs. I have been told that coyotes do not like the donkey's bray and that alone will keep most away, but not if the coyotes are hungry enough. A pack of coyotes is much more formidable than singles, so thinning the numbers could help. We have mini donkeys, but if you have packs of coyotes, you would probably want standards or Mammoths. We used to have coyotes in the immediate area (like walking down the driveway next to DH one morning!
ep.gif
), but I have not heard them close since we got our mini donkeys. Even the fox who raises her kits next door every spring doesn't come too close.

OTOH, a good standard electric fence is not that expensive. If strung at the right heights with multiple wires, it will keep in what you want in and keep out what you want out. Some fence charger companies will help you figure out how to configure it for your needs, or try talking to your local ag extension rep.

We have three standard donkeys. They are hit and miss with coyotes. They certainly bray when they see or hear them, but they have also been seen grazing while a coyote was walking near them in the day. You will never train them to leave dogs alone, they will stomp them every chance they get, ours have stomped and killed ducks and stomped a goat who is now drags two legs a bit. Nothing is certain with a donkey, though they can be a good alternative to dogs. Just make sure you want donkeys, they are not for everyone and nothing like horses.

Donkeys wouldn't really help since they have to be in a fence with horses. Predators would still get into the barn. At this point I'm not worried about chickens. I have a pittie/Dane/lab mix but he lives in the house most the time. Need to look into some breeds that won't roam, hunters around here don't tolerate deer chasing..... LPD sounds good, just seems hard to find. Anyone have success with a wolf hybrid? Or malamute?

Donkeys wouldn't really help since they have to be in a fence with horses. Predators would still get into the barn. At this point I'm not worried about chickens. I have a pittie/Dane/lab mix but he lives in the house most the time. Need to look into some breeds that won't roam, hunters around here don't tolerate deer chasing..... LPD sounds good, just seems hard to find. Anyone have success with a wolf hybrid? Or malamute?

The goal of a good livestock dog is something with low prey, high nurture drive. You'll likely find people who have had success with dogs not bred for the job, but the difference is night and day once you see a dog with the instinct to protect like a mother, versus a dog "hunting" coyotes out of the area.

I can't say enough about our Maremma Sheepdogs and coyotes. We had a coyote or maybe several discover that we had rescued feral cats outside and decimate them in just 6 months. Beside ourselves, we delayed adding a coop and chickens until we could solve that issue. I hired hunters and trappers to no avail because they are just too crafty. After a ton of research, I replaced my aging dogs with Maremmas one by one as they died naturally. We finally got to add our chicken coop this spring and not I, nor our neighbors, have had a coyote loss in nearly two years! If a dog is an option for you I highly recommend any of the big white livestock guardian breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom