Cracked top beak

bmaxim13

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
This morning I went out to put my chickens into thier outdoor run. I noticed one my my barred rocks had blood on her beak. I got all the chickens out and then was able to clean her beak up and noticed she had a crack going across the top of her beak. I put her back into the coop and she started rooting around and was in pain scratching at her beak. So I brought he back in to clean up the blood again. I separated her into a little outdoor space and put my other barred rock in with her since I got them together and they are always together. I just went back out to check and she has blood on the top of her beak again and it looks like she has taken off the top hard part where the cack was. What can I do for her to help her heal?

Edit; she still has the hard part of the beak. It is just cracked and every time she scrapes it, It starts bleeding again.

Attachments

• 20230716_104734.jpg
    20230716_104734.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 150
  • 20230716_104807.jpg
    20230716_104807.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230716_105205.jpg
    20230716_105205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I know that it will regrow, but you probably want to take extra care to make sure it doesn't get infected or worse.

It is a good idea to keep her with a friend, just make sure the the friend doesn't pick at it. If you see anything like that, she should be okay alone if she can see everyone.

Hopefully this will work as a bump, but I'll tag folks that might know the best course of treatment if no one responds on their own.

I know that it will regrow, but you probably want to take extra care to make sure it doesn't get infected or worse.

It is a good idea to keep her with a friend, just make sure the the friend doesn't pick at it. If you see anything like that, she should be okay alone if she can see everyone.

Hopefully this will work as a bump, but I'll tag folks that might know the best course of treatment if no one responds on their own.
Thank you! I did some searching on my own but lots of posts didn't have the chicken beak bleeding so I had to make my own post haha. Should I put some food in water so it is softer for her? Everytime she hits it she is bleeding again.

Thank you! I did some searching on my own but lots of posts didn't have the chicken beak bleeding so I had to make my own post haha. Should I put some food in water so it is softer for her? Everytime she hits it she is bleeding again.
I'll tag somebody if that is happening. Go ahead and try the wet feed, or maybe try some mash feed of some kind.

Hey @Wyorp Rock , do you have any advice for this hen with a badly injured beak? I have never had one of those before. Thank you!!

Feed her in a deep dish with food up to the top so that when she pecks at the feed she will not hit her beak on the bottom. My birds love wet feed in this heat, but it certainly leaves feed residue on their beaks. I would think you would want to put plain triple antibiotic ointment on the wound to keep it moist and to keep the bacteria at bay. Other, more experienced keepers may have better advice.

This beak injury will be very painful for a few days. I would keep her friend nearby, but not inside the crate since she has pecked the blood. You could try to dab on some purple staining BluKote to hide the red which would help if her friend stays with her. Alushield is a horse product, aluminum in color, to hide wounds, and works in chickens as well. Rural King sells that one.

Mushy wet chicken feed changed twice a day, and a little scrambled egg would be good. She may only feel like drinking for awhile. These type of beak injuries will usually heal over time. If they don’t people sometimes use empty tea bags cut to size and superglue to repair fractures. But I would leave it alone for now.

This beak injury will be very painful for a few days. I would keep her friend nearby, but not inside the crate since she has pecked the blood. You could try to dab on some purple staining BluKote to hide the red which would help if her friend stays with her. Alushield is a horse product, aluminum in color, to hide wounds, and works in chickens as well. Rural King sells that one.

Mushy wet chicken feed changed twice a day, and a little scrambled egg would be good. She may only feel like drinking for awhile. These type of beak injuries will usually heal over time. If they don’t people sometimes use empty tea bags cut to size and superglue to repair fractures. But I would leave it alone for now.
Thank you so much! I have the BluKote on hand alread, I just didn't want to put it on her beak. Her friend was leaving her alone but eating a lot of the food so I moved her back with the others so I could see if the hurt one is eating or not.

I am hoping it clots up good so that she doesn't hit it everytime and start bleeding. I know it is very painful for her. Everytime she scratches her beak on the ground or the little roost board I put in there for her she starts scratching at her beak like crazy.

This morning I went out to put my chickens into thier outdoor run. I noticed one my my barred rocks had blood on her beak. I got all the chickens out and then was able to clean her beak up and noticed she had a crack going across the top of her beak. I put her back into the coop and she started rooting around and was in pain scratching at her beak. So I brought he back in to clean up the blood again. I separated her into a little outdoor space and put my other barred rock in with her since I got them together and they are always together. I just went back out to check and she has blood on the top of her beak again and it looks like she has taken off the top hard part where the cack was. What can I do for her to help her heal?

Edit; she still has the hard part of the beak. It is just cracked and every time she scrapes it, It starts bleeding again.
I've dealt with cracked beaks. See post #7 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broken-open-beak.1337516/#post-21876931

Back
Top Bottom