Craigslist chickens?

chickenlover50010

Kernal Fan Club Member
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
South Jersey
Hello! I was on craigslist today and I noticed that you can buy chickens on there(I know, I'm a little slow with these sorts of things
tongue.png
) Did you ever buy or consider buying chickens on there? Thanks!

I think it is a popular source for both chickens and poultry items. I am not sure on how reliable the sources are but I do know folks look into it quite a bit.

AL

I think it's probably a mixed bag. I got my hens from a craigslist ad, and it turned out to be just fine. A lady had purchased 25 chicks (all pullets), had grown them out to 4 weeks and needed to reduce the flock. I went over and took the 7 I wanted. They were healthy and have stayed healthy. That said, I have heard of some negative things: hens sold that were older than advertised so weren't laying, chickens in deplorable conditions or sick, roos sold as pullets, etc.

I think it's a buyer beware situation, but it can turn out just fine!

You can buy if you want...Just remember to keep them in quarantine for about 2 weeks to 1 month to make sure they don't have any diseases. I've got 4 in quarantine right now with 2 of them showing suspicious snotty noses!

Vanessa (ArizonaNessa) here on BYC sells her chickens on Craigslist.

She has real quality and I've bought from her.

Of course I did end up doing a rescue of one I found on there last week... that's an add I wish I hadn't followed up on.

I sell my chicks on craiglist all spring and summer and I also sell (or give away) extra pullets and roos that I have grown out. It seems to work well for me and gives me the chance to educate people on having chickens in the city limits
wink.png

ETA: I have a waiting list for this spring already for sex-linked chicks and grown out pullets - will have to start hatching in February I think...

Last edited:
I agree with Quillgirl. Its a mixed bag. You can do very well or you can do not so well. I see them on Craigslist all the time. I just prefer to get them from a poultry breeder. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom