Craziest thing I have ever seen in my coop!

Well I think they came in through the door gap. I have those cradles set up at all the corners and at the door hinge but on the latch side where the door opens and closes is where the room for them to walk into the run is I think.

Are they wild doves or domesticated? If you go near they do they freak out and fly wildly like they are scared of you, or do they just move out the way calmly?

If they are calm and tame they must be domesticated pets that someone has dumped into your aviary.

If they are wild and flighty they may be actual wild doves they got in by accident to steal for and can't get out. In that case best to release them.

Are they wild doves or domesticated? If you go near they do they freak out and fly wildly like they are scared of you, or do they just move out the way calmly?

If they are calm and tame they must be domesticated pets that someone has dumped into your aviary.

If they are wild and flighty they may be actual wild doves they got in by accident to steal for and can't get out. In that case best to release them.
They were definitely not friendly. Trying to catch them was quite difficult as it is a fairly large space. They did not want me near them and screeched when I caught them..... by the foot initially but they calmed once I had them with wings clamped against their bodies, of course they were then stuck with me unable to get away. They certainly flew away quickly when released.

They're Eurasian Collared Doves, a non native species that has established itself across the US from, you guessed it, Eurasia. Probably slipped in through a hole somewhere trying to get at the chicken feed. When I had ringneck doves, which are a similar size, they could fit through 2"x4" welded wire fencing, and probably could fit through 2"x2" holes as well.

They're Eurasian Collared Doves, a non native species that has established itself across the US from, you guessed it, Eurasia. Probably slipped in through a hole somewhere trying to get at the chicken feed. When I had ringneck doves, which are a similar size, they could fit through 2"x4" welded wire fencing, and probably could fit through 2"x2" holes as well.
Wow! Thanks for that info. They were very pretty and -almost- wish I had kept them. Happy that they are free.

Back
Top Bottom