Crazy broody momma situation…

MTR

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
I had a broody chicken start sitting on eggs about 6 weeks ago. It was in the coop so I didn’t notice it until she was on it for a while so I thought I’d let her hatch them. Then about a week later another hen went broody along side the first. We eat our extra chicks we raise so I figured no big deal.
I didn’t expect the second hen to steel the first hens chicks when they hatched. This theft left one hurt broody momma and a bunch of 14 day or so old eggs in a rough spot. I was hoping to get the first momma to adopt the eggs and finish the hatch but she was pinning for her other chicks. Felt terribly for her.
After a few hours of no hen sitters on the “left” eggs I fired up the incubator. Since I didn’t know exactly how far a long they were I left them without turning and high humidity. Over the next 10 days 15 of 18 eggs hatched.
A few observations. My first instinct was that the eggs wouldn’t make it since they weren’t kept warm for hours. Glad I gave them a chance. Second- is egg turning over rated? Third - don’t let two mommas brood side by side. Not sure if this is common but an interesting 2 months of keeping chickens and learning.

I feel your pain! I have two broodies sharing a space. The eggs are due to hatch this weekend but I don't think they're viable (violent storm blew heavy rain in sideways and soaked broodies and eggs). I may go get a few chicks today and try to sneak them in tonight. But I think I'll have to find a way to separate the broodies because I'm afraid they'll fight over chicks. I don't know. I did try to separate them a couple weeks ago but they freaked out and got back together.

I feel your pain! I have two broodies sharing a space. The eggs are due to hatch this weekend but I don't think they're viable (violent storm blew heavy rain in sideways and soaked broodies and eggs). I may go get a few chicks today and try to sneak them in tonight. But I think I'll have to find a way to separate the broodies because I'm afraid they'll fight over chicks. I don't know. I did try to separate them a couple weeks ago but they freaked out and got back together.
Yeah-

The part I feel the worst about is like three chicks died apparently when the moms were fighting. I’m not letting two brooding mommas in the same area again.

This is why I separated two broodies recently into their own spaces, when they were sitting together and kept stealing each other's eggs. Had no idea if they would co-raise the babies and didn't want to take the risk.

One of those broodies went for another mama hen yesterday while she was taking a break off the nest, because the other broody's chick squealed and she was "defending" that chick (not hers) from the danger she wrongly perceived from it's own mother. The homones are strong in that one!

This is why I separated two broodies recently into their own spaces, when they were sitting together and kept stealing each other's eggs. Had no idea if they would co-raise the babies and didn't want to take the risk.

One of those broodies went for another mama hen yesterday while she was taking a break off the nest, because the other broody's chick squealed and she was "defending" that chick (not hers) from the danger she wrongly perceived from it's own mother. The homones are strong in that one!
That’s the way my one is. She’s like super hen. Kind of both annoying and admirable.

Back
Top Bottom