Crazy comb question with pic!

candira

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Lexington, Texas
So I just hatched about 60 chicks approx. 6 to 7 weeks ago. I only have 1 rooster (for now anyway) and he is a cuckoo marans. So I know he's the daddy and he has a straight comb, but this chick has such a weird comb, i wondered if other breeds have a comb like this or if there is a name for it. There may not be, that's why I'm wondering bc my chick is a mixed chick. The only possible mama's I could think it would be would be an ameraucana or wyandotte ( these are the only hens I have without a straight comb) any guesses? Thanks! Sorry, it's not the best picture!

As the others said it's a rose comb so it can only be the offspring of your Wyandotte. How that works genetically is single comb genes are recessive. Rose comb is dominant. With a gene for comb coming from both parents the dominant rose comb gene from the Wyandotte expresses in her offspring.

Your "Americauna" if from a hatchery is really an Easter Egger, they are mixed breeds that carry blue egg gene. As it's not likely a pure Americauna it may carry a single comb gene. Pea comb is the type of comb an Americauna carries. But being from hatchery it could through single comb offspring when mated to single comb sire.

Oh ok, wow. So that makes me wonder then, on all of them that have a rose comb, the mother would be one of my wyandottes or more than likely because the rose comb is dominate..?
Also I asked this because my Wyandottes combs don't really look like that. The edges are rounder, and doesn't really have points on it like this chicks (and a few others) comb does.
Thanks so much for the info!

Well, I suspect that one in photo is a cockerel. I'm not that familiar with Wyandotte but do believe that's a male comb. The thing with that breed is the females get red in comb early unlike the other breeds/types of comb. So it's not by color in determining gender rather the size and shape of the comb. Looks rather male to me. Do a little image browsing on this site or google images of male Wyandotte and you'll see the point.

a2dc9545bf9241b9b6b1a1615f1fe204.jpg

Ok yeah, I just googled it and it looks like some have the pointer rose combs. And your probably right on that one being a cockerel, I have more with combs like that but they are still completely flat just like my hens where when they were chicks. Theirs didn't get bigger at all until right before they laid! I really appreciate all this. I was wondering how many wyandotte crosses I ended up with. It's so hard to tell everything because they are all cuckoo patterned except the ones crossed with my white leghorns!! It's so hard to watch and wonder what they will all turn out to be. My hens are wyandottes (gold and silver), RIRs, white leghorns, ameraucanas (probably easter eggers- bought from and individual off craigslist), and cuckoo marans so I'm gonna have a little variety! :)
Thanks so much!

I believe most breeds with rose combs have the point at the end. In theory,( and I say theory, because if I say that it always holds true, there may be an exception that i'm not aware of!), straight comb is recessive to rose or pea comb. If you remember from biology class, those pea or rose combs could carry a recessive to straight, which will muddy the waters in future generations. But: Straight + Pea = Pea, though the pea might not be as compact and well defined as the first generation pea. Straight + Rose = Rose. Rose + Pea = Walnut. Lots of fun, huh???

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-9-comb-types

Back
Top Bottom