Crazy egg questions

CoffeeDrinker

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2018
North Central Texas
Hi everyone. We are somewhat new to raising quail. We have been at this for about 4 months and I know we have so much to learn. Today when I went and checked on them (I seem to go out and check on them many times a day), I collected a large egg, a definite large double yolker, but I was concerned because there was blood on the outside of the egg. I took pictures of that egg to post here and ask if this is normal (the blood on the outside). I went out later to check on them and found a super large egg. I haven't cracked either one yet to see what is inside. The first large egg seemed larger than the regular double yolker I get and the blood on the outside had me concerned but the really large egg has me even more concerned. Is this normal? Maybe I am being overly concerned.... I am curious as to what any of you might think.

Attachments

• 20180406_152610.jpg
    20180406_152610.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180406_171224.jpg
    20180406_171224.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180406_171238.jpg
    20180406_171238.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 17
Did they just start laying? Often the eggs are rather weird when they first start up. Doubles, totally shellless, etc. Then they settle down and tend to just make normal eggs most of the time.

I didn't realize you had replied to my thread. They have been laying for a few weeks. What I have discovered is that i have at least one hen that lays the really large egg and it is basically a large double yolker. I would say it is two eggs in one. I have a couple that lay large eggs and aren't doubles. We have some that have just started laying and we have had some weird eggs from them. A few very soft shells, one that I think had two layers of the outside (not sure how to explain it) and one that ended up molding onto the wire. Thank you for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom