CRD or worms??

ChurkLover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
St. Louis
It started with one hen a couple weeks ago who would do what sounded like a hiccup or at times, and extended crow. Then, I noticed last week a different hen with what sounded like a congested chest, bubbled type sounds when breathing and now yesterday have 3 hens and 1 turkey with the congested sounds. From reading other posts on here, it sounds like it might be CRD or maybe worms could be causing it. I initially thought my first hen had crop issues so I gave her olive oil and massaged the crop for two days but it did not seem to help. After the other hens and turkey got the congestion sound (my first hen does not have that, just still the long crow), I read some more and thought maybe the worms or CRD. I cannot see any worms anywhere by their run. They free range all day and go in by themselves to roost at night before I close them safely in their run/roost which is about 17 feet wide and 20 feet long (not counting their actual 10x12 house).

I bought some Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder) when I was at the local farm store the other day because it says it treats CRD in chickens and turkeys but I have not seen anyone else post on here that they have used that. I thought I would put it into the drinking water for all my birds (41 of them -31 chickens and ten turkeys) because I am afraid it may be spreading.

I assume I should treat all of my birds.

Should I try de-worming at the same time I try the medicine for the CRD or would that hurt them somehow?

For the Duramycin, how do I give the dosage? Based on the directions, I think it should be about 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon of water but by the instructions, it looks like I add it to the water and just let them drink it as needed. Does this sound correct to just let them have as much of the antibiotic as they can drink? Some of my chickens are only 3 months old and I don't want to overdose them-none of them are showing the symptoms, only my 18 month old chickens are.

Last edited:
Ok...I have to bump. I started my chickens on the duramycin because they were sounding so terrible. I put it in the water but still don't know for sure if it will hurt the younger birds or not because they are all drinking the same water. I don't really know what to do at this point. Does anyone know anything about this? I a little disappointed in my fellow BYCers who aren't helping me out here. Someone out there surely might know more about this than I do. How long should I give them the Duramycin in their water and is this one of the meds that I have to throw out the eggs for 2 weeks? Thanks to anyone who has any information to help me!

Should I skip the Duramycin and just worm? I have some Ivermectin paste 1.87%. Would I give them a pea size of the Ivermectin on their tongue and then not eat their eggs for the 14 days?

Last edited:
I never found out for sure what it was. I ended up giving them the duramycin then waited a week or so and then I wormed them with Wazine, followed for Safeguard liquid goat wormer. I also ordered some Oxine AH as I read about that on someone else's post. I treated their water and also used it in a mister in their house for about 3-5 days (I can't remember for sure). Something I did cured all of them because they are healthy now. However, two more of my hens just started getting watery eyes and one of them is doing the extended crow. I am going to give them another dose of Oxine and see how it goes.

ok thanks. i wormed mine and the gurgling stopped almost immediately! The eye is still a little runny so i am gonna put some vetrx on its face and down its throat. i also took the wood shavings out of their coop and put some sand and straw in it. seems to be working.

Back
Top Bottom